Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entry to Spain conditions

Options
  • 30-09-2023 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭

Just a query from a colleague in work that seems to throw up two possible answers so can anyone confirm please

What does a Romanian citizen who wishes to fly from Ireland to Spain need to gain entry?

A valid passport, or would a Romanian national ID be enough to gain entry.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can clear it up

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Spain like all Schengen countries accepts EU ID cards, you can also return to Ireland on an EU ID card.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Cheers, so does that apply to me. Because as far as I know Romanian isn't a Schengen country right so I can also fly to Spain or any Schengen country without my passport once I have my ID card?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

You need to check the airline accepts ID cards. From what I've heard any airline that flies to/from Ireland needs a passport.

Yeah the only one I've seen different by experience is Aer Lingus will let you fly to the UK without a passport (just with ID) but Ryanair don't allow that much even.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,160 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

As far as entering the Schengen area goes, there is no distinction between (a) citizens of Schengen countries and (b) other EU citizens. The same rules apply to them all. An EU citizen can enter the Schengen area on the basis of either a valid passport or a valid national identity card. So a Romanian citizen with a Romanian identity card should have no trouble entering Spain.

Similarly a Romanian citizen with a valid Romanian identity card should have no trouble entering Ireland.

As far as airline requirements go, both the Ryanair and Aer Lingus websites say that they accept either a valid passport or a valid national identity card for travel within Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

My Spanish wife has used her Spanish ID dozens of times when we've flown over (with Aer Lingus and Ryanair) and back without any problem whereas I always have to use my passport.

If Romania is in the Schengen area then I'd imagine a Romanian can travel around the Schengen on an ID card.

Romania is outside Schengen along with Ireland, Bulgaria, Cyprus.

Advertisement