Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burglary Victim Dies

Options
  • 30-09-2023 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

Very sad news this morning of Sligo Man who was paralysed after been beaten up by burglars 18 months ago passed away in Sligo Hospital this morning, has been in hospital since the Burglary 18 months ago, what sort of a country have we got ?

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Newbie20

Disgusting. The death penalty could be brought back for scum like that. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I just saw that on RTE. What an awful way for his life to end, may he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,893 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

We voted it out, democratically, so thats all to be said about that. I voted to keep it personally, just in case, but a majority is a majority.

But in respect of Mr. Niland's death, my logic would be that the assault in the process of committing the burglary caused his paralysis and that his paralysis hastened the end of his life, earlier at age 74, than he might have otherwise expected.

And so I believe that Messrs Clarke, Irving and Harmon, already charged with various offences to do with the harm caused to Mr Niland, should now be charged with Murder.

And Murder it should be, not Manslaughter. As I learned from the presiding judge, as a jury member on a murder trial many years ago:

"If a person sets out to do another person harm and that other person should die as a result of the action, even if killing was not the perpetrators original intent, then that is still murder."

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Poor man. Hope those responsible suffer for their actions. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,318 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Tom was on a ventilator in ICU for 18 months - as well as the obvious terrible effect on him and his family, think of how much his care cost the taxpayer as a direct result of the actions of scumbags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Yes but it’s a failure of society really, tayto, and these gentlemen no doubt came out of terribly traumatic childhoods and are living with significant addiction issues etc etc partner is expecting a child soon, gentleman has made significant progress in dealing with his addiction etc etc is participating in courses of education while in custody etc etc…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Also, I believe we can't have the death penalty if part of the EU?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,684 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - This is currently before the courts. Thread closed for now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement