Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing of vile videos

Options
  • 29-09-2023 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Got a message in the last hour on a WhatsApp group for a charity cycle organised by friend whose daughter has leukaemia. It was the Snapchat video of the woman in Offaly who was killed and it’s pretty bad stuff. Apparently this is being shared widely and lots of people are very disturbed at seeing it.

What motivates people to share stuff like this? Taking a horrific tragedy and then amplifying it by sharing the aftermath. Surely there should be some law against this as it isn’t the first time this happened.

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Some people are cnuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Human curiosity unfortunately,your post is likely to get people to start looking it up to see what happened, go to some countries they would show part of it on the main news ,

And as much as this might be a horrific attack there is always worse content on line 24/7

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

For every video like that there is a video of those two scumbags attacking the builders. I'm glad we live in a world where bad things can be exposed but sad that it takes a video to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,801 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Huh?

Someone shared a horrific video on a WhatsApps group for a a charity cancer cycle?

Did you ask the person who shared it what motivated them?

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

Is it any different than the news networks who played videos of planes going into the twin towers on a loop for weeks on end years ago? Or how about the constant gore videos of the current war in Ukraine? People are curious creatures. You'll never stop that curiosity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭dublincc2

Lots of people are sharing it and this isn’t the only message or the video I’ve received, just it was particularly shocking to be in that group. A few other people in the group took him to task and he apologised. People don’t really think before they share these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It's very, very different from the Twin Towers footage, and everyone knows that.

The OP is talking about someone on a Leukaemia charity cycle group sharing graphics footage of an identifiable individual's violent death. That's insane.

If people want to be curious about these things, there's plenty of other groups and sub-Reddits dedicated to stuff like this. Fill yer boots.

Thankfully, none of the groups I'm on have such "curious" individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Maybe he sent it to the wrong WhatsApp group?

Only explanation I could think of for such a stupid act.

Or simply someone Chose to share it because they could.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Admin should have removed him from the group asap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭bloopy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Its all part of uncaring Modern Ireland where people want to show they have no boundaries & couldnt give a toss about others

It's always been the way pal. You think people where more caring back in the 50's, 60's, 70's etc... when they looked the other way when priests raped young boys?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Not really, 9/11 while horrifying was a historical event that continues to be relevant to this day in terms of the direction the US went politically. It was a modern day Pearl Harbour.

Meanwhile the video referred to is an event that led to a woman's death and something that her family most definitely do not want to be seen widely, it also runs the risk of impacting criminal trials and the Gardai have requested for it not to be shared. It's frankly voyeuristic to even want to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I remember the Daniel pearl video being widely shared years ago when it happened... It's horrible but not a new thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,801 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

South American news channels regularly show the aftermath or CCTV of a killing including ones stemming from domestic violence,we have been pretty much sheltered such things from the time rte started broadcasting, some will cry we need to protect people from such things others will say why censor it

• Registered Users Posts: 85,645 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Everything goes on social media these days, there needs to be some punishment for recording and sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭BagofWeed

Saw it on Twitter, grim, wouldn't recommend anyone to watch it and I most certainly won't share the link. I don't know if he put up a video of himself actually committing it an if he did I have zero intention of watching it. When the 18 sec video came up on twitter it took a few moments to register that it was actually real.

But banning things has time and time again not worked. The fact that this evil teen won't even be named yet he was capable of something you wouldn't even see in a horror film is scandalous. Drink drivers, burglars, drug users named everyday so this tramp should be too.

Another point is if you didn't see the video you would never actually imagine it or accept that we have such evil living amongst us. If I didn't see it I would just think it was some incident gone out of control but no he is an evil and sick person.

Pray for his father and brother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,017 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I don't really agree. I think in the past people were in general much more kinder and caring but the internet has given some people a license to be absolute utter cents.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,155 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭AllForIt

What so a teen murdered a person, recorded it, and stuck it up the internet?

What a psycopath.

Teens who kill should be named.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,972 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

again, it’s the age of the attention seekers…. And such shocking and horrifying footage will bring them notoriety, attention and to themselves, value.

kids are conditioned by social media… share share share…. Everything from a sideways fart up to a murder is now seen as ok to share….actually not just ok but necessary..

a simple google search… ‘ share social media ‘ brings results like….

‘ 15 ways to get more shares ‘

‘ 7 of the easiest ways to increase your social media shares ‘

‘ Add share buttons…’

‘ how to share you content in seconds ‘..

its odd, because social media is going since the 90’s… but it seems the first generation to become totally freakishly obsessed, is now, absolute fućking weirdos…

• Registered Users Posts: 18,006 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I saw it, it's grim but I'm more worried I didn't even flinch or react to it. Are we that desensitized to extreme violence now?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭steinbock123

Did this perp record it himself, or was there a third party in the room doing the recording?

If he recorded it himself, it shows a GIGANTIC level of premeditation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The media are reporting it as the suspect allegedly having live-streamed "the aftermath" of the incident himself. As it is with all breaking news, we could find the reported details being refined or corrected over time. I have not seen the video.

A teenage boy has been arrested after allegedly killing a woman in a violent incident and live-streaming the aftermath of the fatal assault on social media.

(...)

Distressing footage of the incident, showing the victim and her injuries as well as a weapon apparently used, was quickly shared online afterwards. Gardaí have appealed to people not to distribute the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,995 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

clearly a very disturbed chap, hopefully he gets help now, he ll be locked up for a long time though, central mental hospital maybe....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,017 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yes it is. This is 1 individual being murdered. It's very different.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement