Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Finding Missing Valentines

Options
  • 29-09-2023 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi everyone,

I've been delving into my family history for about two years, inspired by my late grandaunt's vivid storytelling (and some pandemic boredom). While I've been able to verify many of her accounts, the Valentine branch (her family name) remains elusive. I'd appreciate any guidance.

Quick summary:

• Great-grandfather, Joseph Valentine (1903-1971): Son of Joseph Valentine (1874-?) and Annie Dunphy (1880-1965) from South City Dublin. Annie raised him single-handedly on Cook Street and later Bridge Street Upper. His father allegedly left when Annie was three months pregnant. However, he is mentioned on the birth record.
    • GG-grandfather, Joseph Valentine (Sr.) (1874-?): Born in 1874 with baptism recorded in St. Audeon’s. The residence recorded was 19 Nicholas Street. Married Annie Dunphy in 1902, also in St. Audeon’s. The residence recorded was 22 Cook Street. No subsequent trace of him after this marriage. 
    • GGG-grandfather, Henry Valentine: Joseph (Sr)’s father was Joseph Henry Leo Valentine (according to my aunt). From Joseph’s baptism and marriage records, he was known as Henry Valentine. According to the baptism record, his wife was Catherine Finlan. Listed as a shoemaker in the records. There are no records referencing him outside of his sons’ marriage and baptismal records.
    • GGG-grandmother Catherine Valentine (née Finlan) (1838?-1898): Recorded in Joseph’s baptism record. Her 1898 death record indicates she passed in the SDU Workhouse, her last residence was 25 Nicholas Street, and that she was buried in Glasnevin in a pauper’s grave. Her age was recorded as 60, so a possible birth year is around 1838. Death/burial records label her as a “shoemaker’s wife” and “married”, suggesting Henry was still alive in 1898.
    • GG-granduncle Thomas Valentine (1877? - 1927): Possibly born in 1877 (based on death record in 1927, however based on other records the birth year could be between 1869-77), brother of Joseph (Sr.). His 1892 marriage record cites Henry Valentine as his father and that his residence was 25 Nicholas Street. He was also a shoe/bootmaker, like his father. He later enlisted in the army, curiously first under his mother’s maiden name, Finlan, before later changing it to Valentine. Ancestry DNA has matched me with some of Thomas's descendants. Unfortunately they don’t have much information on him or his parents.

The Valentines are missing from the 1901 census. Only Thomas is in the 1911 census.

Having scoured civil, church, Griffith’s Valuation, workhouse, and court records digitally, I'm turning to this knowledgeable community, hoping to draw upon your collective brilliance for some help 😉 Any leads or suggestions regarding Henry, Catherine, Joseph (Sr.), and Thomas would be greatly welcomed. This branch has been quite a mystery (and headache) for me, especially since I’ve been able to discover so much more about my other family branches.

Comments

Advertisement