Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something growing in fairly strong saline solution

Options
  • 29-09-2023 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

I had a strong saline for mouth rinse. Not sure exactly how strong, maybe 75g/litre. Something is growing in it, a white cloudy diffuse-edged thing. This may be 2 to 3 week's growth. Some non-soluble grit at the bottom.

Any ideas what grows in high salinity like that. Saline solution is more like 9g/litre I believe. So this would be e.g. 5 times stronger solution.

See the attached, about 7.5 cm inside diameter base for the glass.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Might not be growing. May be denatured proteins coming out of solution.

Could also be halophiles https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7024382/

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭prosaic

Not denatured protein, I think. There was v little if any backwash into the glass. The clumps have grown slowly over weeks.

Halophiles perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Could it be salt precipitating out of solution?

Advertisement