Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland’s newest National Park announced for Co Meath

Options
  • 29-09-2023 1:41pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Ireland’s newest National Park will be in Co Meath, following the State purchase of a 223 hectare (551 acre) property on the Dowth demesne.

The lands amount to almost one third of the total area of the Unesco World Heritage site in the Boyne Valley and include a Neolithic passage tomb, which was discovered during excavation works to Dowth Hall in 2017.

on the face of it, this is great news. it'll be approx one third the size of the phoenix park. seems good mixed use too; woodland, wetland, archaeological sites, stately home, model farm...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

Great to see, but I can see it now, lumped into with Newgrange and Knowth in some package deal to save people a likely overinflated entrance ticket for the park on its own

Hopefully I am wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 16 2breal

The majority of Irelands National Parks were donated, as in other countries. I simply do not understand the thinking in government, we have a homeless crisis why not try to make some inroads to solving that humanitarian crisis before creating another tourist attraction. Everyday we hear about climate crisis, the carbon footprint, the need to lower emissions, the neccessity to cull of the national herd (aka farmers property and living), so i am assuming that this space will be left wild and no manicures will be necessary. The priorities of this government seem really skewed, it makes me wonder just how well connected the previous owner was to the politicians. Worth investigating i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It's a National Park FFS! They acquired the demesne of 500 acres and house for only €10 million. Yes, ONLY €10 Million. A bargain and a tremendous asset to the people of this country. It's more than a tourist attraction. It's a rich habitat. Lighten up.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

Thanks for this ! Tis great news. I look forward to visiting when it's up and running.

Some whingers in this place....Go talk to Josephine on the Misery Line.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 2breal

Your humanity is in need of some polish. The minister for housing has better things to be at than a park, while children and their parents are homeless. Its no bargain while people suffer for it. Heritage you say, a lot of good that is to them, they will have vivid memories of the same old double standard and corrupt b**tards feeding at the trough that is the public purse. Spare me your sycophant nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Do you even know what sycophant, or sycophantic, means? Life, and running a country, doesn't hang on a single issue. Nobody disputes there is a housing crisis but €10 million is small change. People need more that housing...health, security, stability, the environment, education, identity...

Advertisement