Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Softeners [+Measuring consumption]

Options
  • 28-09-2023 9:40pm
    Administrators Posts: 362 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

This discussion was created from comments split from: Heat Pumps - post here..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Mr Q

What are you using to record the quantity of water?

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

If this derails this thread, I'll spin the whole thing out into a new thread ( might do that anyway)

What sort of cost was it, and your opinion of it?

Dealing with hard water here, currently using a polyphosphate dosing system (Combimate Limescale Prevention Device) I think its taking the edge off a bit in the tank etc, but anywhere water can dry there still is an issue. (and the tea! using a brita filter for the kettle, I know straight away when the filter needs to be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,116 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Yep, this threads getting a sub. Very interested to see how a water softener affects a heating system

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Didnt even think of that aspect, but there isnt much loss (of water) in heating systems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,116 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

True, unless you've a leaky DHW coil or the overpressure gets triggered a lot

I suppose I should be clear in that I was looking for the effect more on the appliances than the heating system

The water here in Dublin is apparently soft but I'm pretty sure it would be classed as cement in most other countries with the mineral content

I have little limescale stalagmites on my bathroom tap for example

Seriously considering plumbing a water softener into the attic tank, would cover everything except the kitchen tap and dishwasher then

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Buy test strips on amazon, They say the same for up here, but any plumber from here would laugh at people saying that. Theyve seen it, Ive seen a video where they cut open an old dhw tank, and theres enough lime in it to whitewash a barn, ball bearings in the kettle...

there is definitely a case for DHW, Limescale on the coils will reduce how well they can heat the water etc.

My house, + Parents + farm is all on the one supply, I have nowhere really in my house for a softener, Possibly could go in the cupboard beside the sink but then losing a cupboard.

Parents garage is doable, and will cover both houses too. Attic is an option but nowhere for the waste to go. [not impossible, i could sneak it out the soffit and into a downspout but thats metres away.]

It’s a great unit. The best you can get really. It wasn’t cheep; 1500 euro; and I had my plumber install it as part of a bigger job. It integrated easily with Home Assistant and promised to be the lowest cost to run in terms of salt usage.

The house is in Tullamore (I’m originally from Dublin) and I’ve never seen the likes of how hard the water is here. Boil the kettle 2 times with mains water and it’s already destroyed; totally disgusting.

Regarding the heating loop; we did a T off the mains before the softener for the feed to this. I didn’t know if there could be any negative impact of putting softened water into a heating system and didn’t have time to research it on the day of the install. It’s easy to change this and refill the system if needed.

Energy usage is minimal. Never went above 1.7W in the last few weeks.

We got a new washing machine 1 week before the softener; which really annoyed me that we couldn’t wait until after so it would never be fed hard water; but the old one was broke; so I had no choice.

I also replaced the entire hot water system with an unvented Kingspan ultra steel tank. The coil on the old one was covered in a 2-3 mm thick layer of rock hard lime; when hit with a hammer shattered like glass. Had a green tinge to it. No idea if it was impeding the transfer of heat; but it definitely wasn’t helping.

I put mine under the stairs; we did have to kango out a trench for the drain; but we needed this drain for the unvented cylinder and also I’m relocating the washing machine; so it was all part of the same job.

the softener sits before a 200L boost tank ; and that boost tank feeds everything in the house. All the cold taps and shower and also feeds the DHW tank. So everything is softened.

The only exception is the washing machine which is T off between the softener and the boost tank; because I don’t want the pump kicking in all the time for this.

I may also T off for the kitchen sink directly after the softener so we are drinking fresh water that hasn’t been stored. But I love the pressure so I’m leaving it behind the boost pump for now.

also looking into reverse osmosis filter to remove the sodium (you can’t taste it at all) but not great for blood pressure I understand).

Few photos

Advertisement