Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are People Dating Out of their League?

Options
  • 28-09-2023 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I have two female friends (pretty but average looking women) who became single some months ago after long-term relationships. They downloaded dating apps and often showed me with great glee how many matches they'd get, pretty much every guy they fancied was liking them back. I remember using tinder years ago (average looking guy) and 1 match every 3 days was doing well! 

I heard them boast to one another how they can't believe they're with guys hotter than they were ever with bbefore. Recently, they have been left repeatedly upset that these guys are ghosting or breaking up with them after a couple of dates and how "all men are the same". 

I am wondering if dating apps are leading women into a celebrity-like feeling with guys who would normally not look at them in a bar are finding it easier to get with them on apps. In turn more and more women are remaining single as this illusion has raised their expectations? 

If the roles were reversed I would feel the same way. Imagine if an average looking guy went on an app and most beautiful looking women matched with him and many agreed to meet up, date or have sex. My expectations would increase for future partners and I would cease to find women 'in my league' attractive, thus remaining single.

Is this a worldwide or Irish phonemon, or am I over-reading into this? Happily in a relationship by the way!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Allinall

Go for a beer and a curry.

All will be good tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

So two average looking women are getting a lot of attention from good looking guys wonder what they could be after?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Well, they're clearly not into looks so they must be looking for a lifelong personal connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭ruth...less

What app are these good looking guys on op? It's not the app I'm on anyway. heh heh

Actually one thing I noticed..the guys look better on tinder than pof? Is there something about pof thats dated or I don't know..but the photos guys put up in pof always seem to be less flattering that the likes of tinder, bumble. I don't know if it's the same for women. It's like POF doesn't have a slick cool image.

I was a television version of a person with a broken heart...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭RoboRat

It sounds like it's some Shake and Bake.... followed by the Magic Man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Ah this is kinda done to death. I think there's a kernel of truth to what you say but also your second point (about the hot guys wanting better eventually) means everything falls back into place and balance is restored. Look around when you're walking in the city, most couples are fairly well matched..similar looks, similar weight, similar ages. Major looks disparity are and imo always will be the exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

the women look better on tinder and worse on PoF as well.

Tinder is full of insta-huns and people trying to look cool,carefree and vibing. The difference is really stark between the 2 apps

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭ottolwinner

I think you’re right I’ll be looking at people walking around differently from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭neirbloom

Tinder is the fantasy POF is the reality. A neighbour of mine was on Tinder last year or the year before posting pics of herself atop mountains, sandy beaches, selfies of herself kayaking off the Costa del Sol. The reality I see her weeks later behind the counter of my local Super Value in a oversized cardigan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Out of their league is an Americanised bullshit concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

You posted this last week on Reddit , word for word. Odd you care that much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Daisy78

You are in a relationship, why on earth would you care about your single female friends dating experiences. Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭pgj2015

A lot of men would go for any woman with a pulse, they let the rest of us down by not having any standards.

The filters women use on dating sites should be illegal, it would be like me putting up a picture of Ronaldo or David Beckham and pretending it's me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,172 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Reads like a Waterford Whispers story "Local woman who agrees to casual hookup with man she knew only wanted an easy ride shocked to learn afterwards that he doesn't want to get married immediately"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,172 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Advertisement