Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Insurance with new employer

Options
  • 28-09-2023 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi all, I'm starting a new job and my employer is offering health insurance as one of the perks. I already pay for my own health insurance and wondering should I take out an additional policy (or is this pointless), cancel my personal policy and use employer's, or do not avail of the perk and continue paying my own health insurance.

My only concern is if I leave this employer and have cancelled my personal plan I'm back to square one and will have a waiting period again in order to claim.

Any advice much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GIMP

Wait until your own policy is due for renewal then cancel it, then sign up for employer policy.

You may have to wait a few months still paying your own policy but that is what I had to do in the same situation.

Also legally you can only hold one health policy in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sunshine2018

You shouldn’t have any waiting period when you change policies as long as you don’t leave any gap. Take your employers insurance as it’s a benefit to you. More money in your pocket

Advertisement