Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lower Decks 4x05- Empathalogical Fallacies ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Options
  • 28-09-2023 6:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭

Lower Decks 4x05- Empathalogical Fallacies ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** } Warning: This thread will contain spoilers

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,064 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It's an amusing bit of chaos overall with some good moments in there. The Boimler b-plot felt pointless and irrelevent though. Plenty of T'lyn this time around, even if Bendi syndrome is a bit of sudden lurch in character development.

The series arc of the mystery ship is simultaneously the motivation for the episode, but again not advanced. At least there isn't another repetitive scene of a ship being attacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭corkie

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That was an OK episode but not the funniest one and certainly not as good 1 or 3 maybe even with episode 2 I would say.

Nice to see some movement on the mysteries ship. At least the Cerritos and any other Federation ship will be ready for it of they come across it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So since no one has seen a ship like it before and with its abilities, it's from the future?

And a dig at Discovery with the comment about how the crew don't get emotional for no reason

• Registered Users Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Really loved the Romulan ship at the end. Gave me a good laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭eadrom

Good episode. Plenty of laughs.

Felt like less focus on the lower decks than usual, more of the senior crew and their perspective. Or maybe it's just that they've all been promoted now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Good episode. Great to see more T'yln.

Romulan ship was hilarious.

Not as good as episode one but still decent. And that's not a bad thing..not every episode can be a stand out show.

I like how the cast are coming to terms with their new ranks and do seem to maturing somewhat into real Starfleet officers.

The characters on Lower Decks are so well developed (compared to Discovery) you can have a real feel for who they are. Even the secondary characters have good roles.

Also, Caitains used to eat Betazoids. Interesting lol. Love how Caitains have to swear an oath not to eat their crewmates.

Post edited by TheValeyard on

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

I still can't get enough of the running joke of Dr. T'Ana actually just being a cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I imagine Shax being the defacto councillor is a Cerritos only set up. Can't see Worf, Tuvok or Odo taking much interest in the well being of the crew.

It was OK, preferred last week's episode if I'm honest. The Betazoids attempted kidnap made no sense to me

Love how you forget Reed, La'an and Clem Fandango 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Reed and La'an were from Old Scientists time, mental wellbeing tended to fall under the responsibility of the Chief Medical Officer. Before M'Benga, Doctor Haskins looked after Captain Pike with a stiff drink because sometimes a man tells his bartender what he won't tell his Doctor. Clem Fandango you'll have to remind me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭Evade

To paraphrase Ilia "my oath of dietary restriction on file. May I assume my duties?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Decent episode and some fun moments, though the crew losing control part seemed very close to the orgy episode in season 2. I do like how they're fleshing out the new Vulcan crew mate and how Shax and T'ans relationship seems to be fizzling weirdly away in the background. So far I think this season has been pretty solid and consistent, if maybe a little slower than previous ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Rawr

I’m loving that too. As well as the perverse notion that Caitins eat Betazoids, and there you have T’Ana serving as a Doctor in a Federation that includes a race she’s instinctively inclined to kill & eat. (And *just about* contains that urge)

Really getting more into T’Lynn. A really great addition to the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I presumed by "oath", they meant T'ana's Hippocratic oath. "Do no harm. That includes not eating your patients".

I love that it's now "canon" that the replicators have humanoid meat on file.

"The urge" was just the first indication of the problems the crew were experiencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Rawr

Maybe, but it seems to lean into Caitans being just big cats. It’s almost like her seeing a Betazoid is like my cat seeing a small bird land nearby. My cat is going to try to murder that bird, there’s nearly no choice in the matter. Regardless of T’Lynn’s syndrome, I feel like T’ana would still be fighting the urge to not kill those Betazoids.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,064 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I can't remember where I saw it, but it's been pointed out that it was previously shown on TNG that Betazoids evolved from a fish like species. It's a bit of a deep cut, but essentially it's just a joke about T'ana being just a cat.

That might come from the TNG episode where everyone devolved into their prehistoric state.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭Evade

Including at least one human devolving into a spider

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭corkie

They're descended from amphibians. In Genesis, when a rogue T-cell activates the crew's introns, Deanna Troi assumes an amphibious form indicative of her Betazoid evolutionary ancestry.

Barclay turns into a spider and riker into a caveman in same episode.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It was the TNG episode "Genesis". That episode treated evolution almost as sillily as Voyager's "Threshold". We had Barclay "de-evolving" into a spider for instance.

Of course, we ourselves (humans) and all other mammals evolved from fish, these guys specifically https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcopterygii. Some biologists go as far as to classify humans as "bony fish" in a similar manner to how birds are sometimes classified as dinosaurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

That was fun. Lots of nods and laughs. Kinda missed how Prodigy felt more new and fresh. Hope it gets renewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

There is already a second season of Prodigy made but it has been wrote off in some tax deal. So we might never see it unfortunately.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

An okay episode belatedly watched. T'Lyn is a good new edition and they're mining nice comedy without getting lazy about the Vulcans. Though on the laziness I don't like it when they just try for laughs by making the doctor a big cat. That is just lazy and never really laugh at them.

Advertisement