Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ev brochure price different to retail price?

Options
  • 27-09-2023 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Hi, maybe there is a real basic reason for this so apologies if so, but recently I decided I would look at changing to EV based on my milage. As a starting point I looked online at the brochure prices to get a general guide of what might be in my price range and based on that I visited a few garages. In nearly all, the basic spec version of the cars I was looking at were significantly more expensive in garage than the prices per brochure online. For example Ioniq 5 brochure from €44,495 but in garage I was told it would be circa €50,000.

As I said I'm only at the early stage of figuring this out and in most cases they were pushinge towards waiting until start of 2024 than going for a 232.

Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Lots of manufacturers will have a "from" price and have a lower spec'd model that isn't available here just so they can show the lower price.

There is another fee added for dealer delivery and charges (1500) and some will charge for extras like fancy paint or wheels.

You have to ask for the "on the road" price.

Tesla seem to be the only ones that just tell you the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭crl84

As above.

Some will also include highly overpriced extras like "official" mats or Supaguard paint coatings. Much better off getting these yourself for cheaper/better quality.

Gap insurance seems to be a common upsell these days too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,847 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Could be a few reasons, for example the brochure could be referring to this year's model and the garage could be talking about a 2024 model which usually has some "upgrades", and a higher price as a result

As far as I know the manufacturer prices are recommended, the garage can actually charge whatever they want. There were many cases of markups being applied by dealerships in the US for example. I'm not sure what control a brand has over it's dealerships here, there might be a price control agreement in place

The garage will also charge delivery fees which can run to several thousand

As others mentioned there could be a lot of charges on top like protecting packs or other fees

Try to get a breakdown of the quote to see how much of it is the car itself and how much is other crap

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Advertisement