Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with Sterling Background check and how to deal with it.

Options
  • 27-09-2023 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

I have a job offer, and really want the job.

However I do have an issue with Sterling checks as well as a previous employer. They are to do a criminal background check as well as an employment check. The first one will be no problem, there is nothing on me anywhere. The latter is a problem.

I've left a previous employer under unfavorable conditions and they seem to be hostile. They seem to not even wanting to confirm that I was employed with them at all.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to deal with that one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Pick another employer you worked for and submit that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭tinytobe

interesting. However they want it chronologically, the last 7 years.

So I could submit any employer, or just submit a shorter time with this employer, and just look to getting their ok and all clear from Sterling? Would that work?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It does not work like that! You don't get to pick and choose what elements of your background they look into, otherwise it would be a wast of money from the employers point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭thefa

Is it a really small operation that it wouldn’t even have HR to just confirm employment dates?

Presume you have some for of document that shows you worked for them like contract, payslips, etc. Obviously not ideal if it came down to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭dennyk

If the background check company is unable to verify a previous job by contacting the employer, either they or your prospective employer will usually ask you to provide some form of proof of your employment, such as your contract of employment, pay slips and your P60s/P45 or Employment Details Summary documents from Revenue (depending on how long ago this job was). As long as you can provide that documentation, it usually won't be a problem; sometimes previous employers can't be contacted for one reason or another, so it's not that unusual.

If they do contact your former employer and your former employer lies about your employment there, as opposed to just not responding, that could be a more difficult situation. They might still accept your own documentation of your employment as proof in that case, though. If your former employer lies and it costs you this job offer, you could have grounds for a legal claim against them, but of course that will be a long and likely complex process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Squatman

how did you get around this one op?

Advertisement