Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghosted after final round interview

Options
  • 26-09-2023 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

Is this happening or am I just unlucky!

I applied for a role a few months back and never heard anything from the application until about 3 weeks after applying, I had a great conversation with their internal HR hiring person and then was offered the first interview - it was over teams & went really well, got a great vibe and was really pleased with everything & how it went. Within a week I got an email for the final round with a presentation task, again over teams - again it went really well & I didnt get any red flags & generally seemed like really good bunch of people and everything went really well! They openly praised my presentation and also previous work from my CV.

About 10 days after that interview - I sent a follow up email with HR to see how the process was progressing, got an email the next day saying there with meeting to discuss and would get back to me shortly.

3 weeks later - Nothing. I sent another email just re-confirming my interest in the position and wondering if that had closed the recruitment process, could I have any feedback for future interviews, and... nothing. Completely ghosted.

I put alot of effort into the presentation and was really interested in the job - I know this is a red flag anyway for a company at this stage but is this a thing? It seems really unprofessional - this was a big company aswell so I was very surprised. Or am I just expecting too much too soon?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I don't think so, if you got the final interview stage, I'd say it is reasonable to expect you'd at least get a formal letter of rejection. It does not take much effort to do that....

On the other hand, if you are being asked to do presentations etc. I'd assume it must be a fairly senior position, so I'd have expected the last round to be in person not via teams etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭thefa

Have interviewed with a variety of companies and would typically expect a response within a week or so but it can vary. Sometimes not hearing back quickly may mean they were keeping you as a backup option but could simply be a case of HR/Recruiter being swamped.

The strangest case I had was having a first round video interview in late November. Went grand but nothing special. I wasn’t that pushed as there would be some opportunities coming up in the company I worked for in the short run so i never chased up. Fast forward to January and I get a call asking to do a second round in-person interview with presentation. I can’t remember the explanation but it was a bit wishy. Ultimately didn’t happen until late January and then told I didn’t get it about 10 days later in early Feb.

Think you’ve done your part in terms of showing interest and following up. Wouldn’t be giving any more thought to it or holding back on anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

In big companies, roles go on hold at short notice, especially mid tier roles. In my experience on both sides of the coin, this translates as let's keep the person on the hook while we try get the hold released, so say nothing in the interim.

It's a pain... On both sides!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Agreed. Have been very frustrated doing interviews and asking management to make decisions, but then getting fobbed off.

Also, when someone is a non-runner, management keeping them in pot, as opposed to letting agency know immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭893bet

They maybe in negotiations with the preferred candidate and trying to keep you on ice in case that falls through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

Would you want to work for them after treating you like this?

Bullet dodged

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭nearzero

Thanks all, I definitely feel it was bullet dodged at this stage - it's very unprofessional especially when you have worked hard on a presentation.

I've officially moved on! Thanks for your replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

It sucks, but it is common. I've had it several times over the years. And it is hard because you've met them, so you think your chances must be pretty good! I've learned that I'm better off putting it out of my mind after the interview is over. If they call, they call.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭the14thwarrior

don't mind me saying if part of the interview was a presentation, you should work hard on it. Unfortunately they either lost the position or you didn't succeed.

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Dublinandy3

Now it's been a few months, out of curiosity, did you ever hear anything back, was it ghosted or just really delayed/poor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭YellowLead

99% of the time they are negotiating with the person they selected, but in case that doesn’t work out they won’t say no to others until the contact is negotiated and signed, which does suck for the unchosen.

Advertisement