Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

carbon credits from solar

Options
  • 26-09-2023 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

does energy exported into the grid from domestic solar generate carbon credits?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭DC999

Yes, ish. On a smart meter you pay for the units used. So if you use 200 units in total but generate 125 from solar, you 'buy' 75 units from the gird. So should only pay the carbon tax on the (lower) purchased amount. Or that's how I understand it.

I'm not 100% sure what your Q means tbh. So not sure if I answered it.

Plus I can see the carbon saving in kgs from my solar system. But that's based on the typical carbon consumption from any worldwide grid. It knows nothing of the Irish grid. Nor is it linked to my electricity bill in any way. So I have generated 4000kWh from solar meaning I reduced my carbon usage by that amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,116 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

If you're thinking in terms of a trade able carbon credit you can sell, no

At least not for domestic customers, small businesses running solar might have some different options

The basic idea is that as a consumer you're being paid a fixed rate for the clean electricity you generate.

This effectively functions as a carbon credit since you're financially benefitting for reducing carbon dioxide emissions

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kay0ss

Thanks for the info, apologise if the question is not clear, this is a new space. The question was as much about the home owner (payment) and carbon credits more generally. All the best Jonathan

Advertisement