Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber wedges for staircase.

Options
  • 25-09-2023 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi there,

My stairs are creaking and I realized that some timber wedges underneath are missing. The stair was built in the 80's the approx. measures are 170 mmx20mmx20mm. I tried with my local building providers (Limerick) without success. I was wondering if anyone could point me on the right direction or give me some tips.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Find somewhere near you that will cut a few timber wedges out for you.

If you are near Dungarvan I'll cut you a few.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭DC999

It's a 45 degree angle. If you could get one out, use that as a template. Draw out the shape and cut it out with any saw you own.

Could get the same thickness of wood in a local supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭whizbang

Its very difficult to cut wedges that kind of size with hand tools. Even the best quality bench saw its still difficult.

But just wedges wont solve the creaking problem.

You need loads very high quality glue; the kind of stuff you got from a knackers yard..:) Drive in 3 each side, (3.5 x 40) wood screws into the edges of the risers (where the wedges are) at a slight angle so the riser is fixed tight to the stringer.

Sorry but that really is all wrong. Cutting wedges is easy and most modern glues create a joint stronger than the wood.

OP how many do you need? If its only a couple I can post them out to you (when my current bout of Covid is over).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Sorry to hear that you're under the weather, hoping for your speedy recovery.

• Advertisement

A bit better today thanks.

Also spotted these on Amazon

Might be a bit thin but available to Ireland and you could double up on them.

Advertisement