Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Orleans or…..

Options
  • 25-09-2023 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

Planning a trip to the States next year and looking for advice from anyone who has been to New Orleans. We are hoping to fit two cities in, Washington DC (a definite) for about 2/3 days and New Orleans for 5/6. Timeline’s subject to change but intent was to spend more time in NO. However I came across some really negative reviews from people who had been to NO on another forum and now am having second thoughts about it. I know everyone has different likes/dislikes when it comes to travel destinations and reviews should be taken into account with that in mind. However it’s given me cause to rethink and wonder if there are nicer destinations down south that might be a better alternative, say Savannah or Memphis. General consensus on NO was safety was an issue and that it had an overall unpleasant vibe to it. This won’t be a fly drive holiday so no option to base ourselves there and drive to other cities in the region. We will be restricted to the city environs and perhaps one or two day trips from the city.

Would welcome any thoughts from people who have been there and in particular anyone who has been to other southern US cities.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

Saratoga, western side of Florida. Amazing beaches and very safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Julabo

NO is amazing. My favourite US city. Culture, food, architecture, history... It has it all.

Yes there were some dodge looking spots but that is in every city. We stayed in the Garden district, if you do not want to walk, you can get a tram down town.

DC some city too. Loads and loads to do so you might need a bit more time there.

Sarasota is nice though as stated above. Great weather, all very new and fake, if you get me.

Savannah was nice but boring in my opinion. Charleston was cool though.

PM me if you want. We did a road trip from Heuston to Atlanta.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,061 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Hi OP, been to New Orleans twice but it was a long time ago.

I'd say 5/6 days is probably too much, it's a great place, very different from other US cities, and very much a party town.

A weekend would likely be loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Yes agree a weekend is plenty. The tourist part of New Orleans is quite small so you can see most things in few days. French quarter is very safe day and night.

Biloxi is close by and nice place for few days too

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

New Orleans is the greatest city in the world! Going to the French Quarter Festival (again) next year. Its safe, really friendly and totally unique. Food is incredible. Id go 4 days at a minimum. It'll take you a few days to do the French Quarter, stop into all the little weird shops etc, navigate a few hangovers and long lunches. Maybe a boat trip. Frenchman Street too in that area. Some great music bars there. The Garden district is beautiful and make sure to go to Boilhouse there.

And then theres the swamp tours...

We're driving from Washington to Savannah the week before NOLA next year. Been to a few places before. Charleston is lovely. And really spooky. Do the walking ghost tour.

About 10 years ago I did a trip from Nashville to New Orleans. Nashville, Memphis, Clarksdale, Vicskburg, Natchez, Baton Rouge, NOLA. Stayed in a big old white plantation house. In the former slave quarters etc. Drove Highway 61 and its the best trip Ive ever done. Love all that old blues stuff anyway so stopped by a few blues markers and graves and the like. Really underpopulated place. Maybe the most "foreign" place Ive been to. Mississippi has a unique feel to it.

Spend a night in the Shack Up Inn just outside Clarksdale.

Go to Reds Blues Club.

Last year (before NOLA) we did Houston, Austin, San Antonio and a few small towns around the area. Would defo recommend Austin but meh to the other two. Houston is fine but huge and San Antonio is a weird little place. Fun seeing the Alamo I suppose and theres a great new area called the Pearl with some nice place to eat and drink.

I wouldn't bother with Florida at all but that just me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Thanks all for your comments, particularly @The Nal , great tips there, love the photos too! Sounds like New Orleans is still worth a visit. Would love to take in other cities down south but might not be doable on this trip.

Advertisement