Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Builder doesn't want me to pay vat

Options
  • 25-09-2023 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi there,

Had some work done on the house. Builder implied he would like cash and I was ok with it but then said I might as well pay vat, why would he care.

After the work was done, he was a bit in a fluster when I said I wanted to pay vat. He said is work is guaranteed and he would issue an invoice but thought we'd arranged cash so was quite insistent.

Is this a red flag or am I being paranoid? I admittedly know little about how vat would effect him.

Thanks in advance

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭Allinall

Why do you “want to pay VAT”?

Just pay him what he wants for the job.

His VAT affairs are just that. His.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭highdef

I'm with @Allinall - your builder is giving you figure X as the cost but you want to pay figure X plus Y. In other words, you wish to pay more than he is requesting. I really can't see why anyone would desire to pay more for anything than is being asked.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

VAT receipts are needed for any grant aid of any kind - renovation schemes, disability adaption and so on. Common enough reason to need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭highdef

That's true but surely if a builder is charging a price of 10k for a job, then the customer just needs to pay that amount. What the builder does in terms of paying taxes is up to the builder. It's nothing to do with the customer nor is the business of the customer as to how someone else's tax affairs are dealt with.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Rather you have that argument (with a builder who pulls the "that was a cash price" thing at the very end) than I!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 InsulateMeDaddy

I was thinking it was more of a guarantee of his work, that if it was shite I would have the proof of him doing it.

Also if a tree fell through the roof, I would have some form of proof to the insurance company that iv been upkeeping an old roof.

If his invoice is good enough for these types of things, I am happy enough.

Im a new homeowner so I just want to cross the t's.

Happy if it's a ridiculous question

• Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭kirving

A "cash" job rarely if ever means that the supplier just want's cash instead of a bank transfer. It means "off the books", entirely.

Good luck to the OP getting any warranty, grants, or certifications from the builder if they pay cash. There will be no recourse for the OP, only revenge (in the form of reporting him to Revenue, with evidence) if there are problems down the line.

13.5% is a small price to pay to keep everything above board.

Advertisement