Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ceiling Mold

Options
  • 25-09-2023 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Recently purchased a house and there is a bit of mold appearing on the bathroom ceiling. I'm assuming this was pre existing as the bathroom has no vents (Which I'm addressing separately)

Have tried sprays, vinegar etc. but it has re-appeared. Am I wasting my time until the vents are installed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭10-10-20

IMHO if there is no ventilation, then yes, you're wasting your time.

Don't overlook the benefit of checking whether the ceiling above the bathroom should be insulated - a number of mold issues can come from that being a very cold surface and even with ventilation the mold may still be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Dannymole22

The attic is directly above this ceiling and I've recently insulated this.

The usual when buying a house I'm trying to pick and choose my battles as I can't do everything at once but getting vents installed I think will have to be prioritised as this issue will only get worse during the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭DC999

Deffo some stuff you can do until you get the ventilation sorted. Open the window during and after a shower (keep bathroom door closed so it doesn’t freeze the rest of the gaff in winter). Wipe the shower + walls with a used towel after the shower – there’s a fair bit of moisture sitting on the walls that has nowhere to go in an unventilated space. I'm the only one who does it, bit of a drag but it works.

Get a spray to kill the existing mould in the first place. Mould resistant paint makes a big difference too. I got an additive to add to normal paint and it worked perfectly.

We've always had a small fan on a timer that runs when the bathroom light is on and for maybe 5mins when it’s turned off. That on its own couldn’t cut it. Way too much moisture after a shower for the little fan to clear in a few mins.

We’ve a low ceiling above the shower and it used to be bad for mould. The steps above have sorted it. Can then quickly blast any new mould that appears with the spray that appears in corners typically or at the edge of the window into the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭sniperman

spray with bleech mixed half and half with water,leave for 2 days,seal with BIN sealer/primer,re paint,problem solved

• Registered Users Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

anti-mould spray (you can get it in Woodies - make sure to wear a mask). Then a couple of coats of Zinsser Perma-white paint.

• Advertisement
Advertisement