Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing Fottrells

Options
  • 25-09-2023 3:24pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I'm researching this name - a distant relation married someone of this name.

I have most of their kids but notice a weird discrepancy between the birth indexes on the commercial sites vs irishgenealogy. I'm trying to find when Patrick was born. He lived to adulthood as registered his mother's death in 1968. They lived in Dublin. Parents married in 1907.

For example: Anastatia Fottrell born 1922 in the index but not on IG. Ok, so perhaps her birth was registered late. Only one child that I know of was born after 1922.

2 Elizabeths (1913/1916) in the indexes but not on IG.

Michael born 1909 same story.

I can only find 2 kids born with that name to a Cullen mother, when there's 9. Am I going mad?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Fraoch333

I did a search for Fot*l on Irish Genealogy and came up with 3 children with Cullen as the mother's maiden name - Mary 1911, Peter 1915 and Elizabeth (Fottorell) 1913. Hopefully that's one of the Elizabeths that you're missing.

I've also found Michael (sp- Fattrell) 1909, Anastasia (sp - Fattrell) 1922. I'll keep looking under different spellings.

Post edited by Fraoch333 on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Oh thank you very much!

There's only one Elizabeth, so you've found her.

It's funny: I would not have expected this name to have that many variants.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Great, I'm glad that's your Elizabeth. It is funny to have so many variants of a name. I have the same problem with a surnames in my family. I think I've come across six different spellings so far! It's a bit of an unusual name, so maybe there was some guesswork involved when the names were being registered.

I'm afraid I've had no luck finding Patrick's birth. I just found his marriage to Esther Byrne in 1947. On Find My Past there is record of the birth of a male Fottrell in Dublin North in Q3 1926. I wonder if that could be Patrick.

Could well be. Thanks for your help.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Fottrell's was a biggish Dublin legal firm certainly up tp the 1990's - originally George D(revar) Fottrel & Sons. They merged with Eugene F Collins about 2000 (?) which merged with Addleshaws a couple of years ago.

I'm not aware of any legal connection, but will investigate.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement