Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delete

Options
  • 23-09-2023 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Delete

Post edited by irishsid on

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

There is a very big difference between being a jack of all trades at company and going on your own. Basically your next job depends on the quality of the work you did on the last job, as word gets around very quickly whether you are any good or not.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you will be held liable for the quality of the work you do. That means you may find people refuse to pay you for the work if they are not happy or even come after you for any damages you cause.

All of this means you should only of services you are competent to carry out and insurance you have the proper legal framework and insurance in place to protect your assets.

From what you have posted it does not sound that you are competent to offer services beyond what you already do on a daily basis - fitting kitchens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭gipi

Replacing A with B isn't as straightforward as you make it out to be, especially with electrics

Can you identify if a new shower is more powerful than one you're taking out, and be able to replace the cable back to the fusebox because the cable doesn't have the correct rating?

The guy who did my bathroom (a one-man operation) couldn't, and he also managed to wire the shower the wrong way round - shower broke down after 6 months and wiring nearly melted.... I had to get a RECI electrician in, and the shower had to be repaired too.

I won't recommend the guy I used to anyone for anything as a result.

Not having a go at you, just pointing out that multitasking could go wrong for you down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Would all this fall under handyman?

We don't have protected titles in Ireland, but I wouldn't explicitly advertise electrics or plumbing unless I had some qualification.

Advertisement