Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPU Upgrade from GTX 970 For PCVR

Options
  • 23-09-2023 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭

Here are some details of my PC:

I can run wireless PCVR games at the moment well enough. E.g. Walkabout Mini Golf.

Looking to upgrade the GPU to something that can play Half-Life Alyx in VR on Quest 2. Minimum Requirements:

I dont really care if its on low settings. Just as long as its smooth enough and playable.

This would allow me to play a lot of other cross play Rift titles Ive already bought for Quest 2 but for now I want to play HL Alyx.

Can I just slot a better GPU into my PC or do I need to upgrade some other components?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭jj880

Just looked through my old emails.

The PSU on this PC blew in 2020. It was a CORSAIR CX600.

I got it replaced with a CX650 as thats all Currys had in stock if that makes any difference.

Im looking at RTX 2060 or RTX 2060 Super as it seems the PSU should be able to handle it.

Apparently either card can run HL Alyx on medium / low settings.

I guess Im wondering if there might be any bottle necks anywhere in my system that will hold it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You're definitely going to be CPU-bottlenecked - the i7-2600K is 12yo / 5 generations behind the minimum recommended spec.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/thq9N6

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (€97.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Assassin King SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler (€19.00) (AmazonUK)

Motherboard: ASRock B550M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (€116.89 @ Caseking)

Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory (€66.39 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Video Card: EVGA KO ULTRA GAMING GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB Video Card (€201.96 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Total: €502.14

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-09-23 13:34 CEST+0200

Thanks. Thats a good price on the video card compared to where I was looking.

I have a big blue fan box on top of my CPU. I'll open my case and see exactly whats in there some time today.

Im thinking if its going to be around 500 euro to upgrade my current PC I may as well look at an offer like this from UK. They are appearing regularly on HotUkDeals. Can get delivered to NI no problems as Im on the Donegal/Derry border. Will have it as a dedicated VR/gaming PC and keep my current PC as an office PC.

This price includes the upgrades in brackets. Works out just under 700 euro with delivery to Derry. I know nothing about Palicomp though. Seems like a great price for the spec.

• Advertisement

Just noticed there is no CPU cooler on that Palicomp offer as included in your recommendations. Will have to research 1 to add.

EDIT: They do ship a CPU cooler included in the price. Super.

Post edited by jj880 on

Advertisement