Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ElectricBrands XBUS

Options
  • 23-09-2023 7:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

Although not made very clear in the videos X BUS,from Germany, has motors in the wheels.

I remember some years back, when the Chinese produced EVs with motors in each of the wheels there were concerns over brake wear due to the extra weight.

I find in this rural part of the country, I regularly am driving through deep flooded roads, perhaps another concern if motors are in the wheel hubs.

Pity if these concerns are well founded,because it does look like an affordable and fun EV,worth considering,if it appears in these shores anytime soon.

Post edited by liamog on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,847 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

There's a good article on Wikipedia about this

Basically in a car, having the motors in the wheels affects handling and ride comfort because it increases the unsprung weight

Apparently the issues can be mitigated, but to me the disadvantages outweigh the advantages

While wheels aren't exactly disposable, they are designed to be easier to replace than an engine. It's possible that a hub motor could be designed to be seperate to the wheel, so a normal wheel hub can be fitted

This doesn't seem that likely though, it certainly isn't the case for ebikes with hub motors

So imagine the cost and hassle of removing the whole motor when you need a tyre change. Not many garages will be enthusiastic about it

Also might make stealing your wheels more attractive, given the value of them

I think the big one is going to be motors that are close to the wheels but still part of the chassis

I could see it being very useful for off road vehicles, being able to move each wheel independently

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Thanks good points we'll made,although I believe XBUS comes with a ten year warranty, the motors in the wheels are a deal breaker for me.Some folk asking about the camper with solar PV, The flat bed basic EV got my interest , or even the pickup. Being able to fairly easily? add battey modules also caught my attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Worth asking perhaps,as this EV is not classed as an Automobile, like Renaults Twizy, would that necessarily involve higher insurance?

Advertisement