Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lexus - good or bad...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭blackbox

2019 according to ad.

Lexus generally have an excellent reputation apart from some diesels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭goochy

Mileage way above average hence price

• Registered Users Posts: 73,431 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They’re very well built. Servicing isn’t crazy expensive but it isn’t cheap either. Infotainment user interface is poor on them and they’re not exactly a big comfy car, but they are sharp enough to drive, they don’t tend to go wrong, and they’re not as common as a BMW or Audi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

That swooping line from the rear lights ruins the otherwise good looks of them.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭redseat1

Thanks for the info. Sorry @blackbox, not sure why I said 2020. Kinda had it on the brain as was checking for 2020 or newer Skoda Karoqs, which are nice but "safe". And then said I'd just chance Lexus as I saw one today.

It does look really nice, and as you say @colm_mcm a little different to the Audi/BMW. Had a Saab 9-3 back in the 00s and loved it for that very reason, it looked great and not too common.

• Advertisement

If you are not doing big miles or plan to keep a long time above average miles won’t be a problem .

• Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

64k miles is hardly high for a 4 year old car.

Going by the mph/kph speedo that car is a UK import so make sure to do a proper history check on it to make sure the mileage is genuine and there is no previous insurance write off history.

Yes was thinking 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭accensi0n

I've a 2009 Lexus is250. Tax is high but love it and plan on driving it into the ground. Very comfortable. Got it a few years ago before prices went mental.

@bazz26 thanks for the heads up, had kinda assumed buying from a dealer would weed out issues. What's the "go to" company or service for checking UK car history?

@goochy don't plan on doing high mileage really, but I am a fan of holding on to cars for years and driving into the ground @accensi0n, presume the hybrid element will keep the tax down for a while anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Will have my 2013 is300h f sport 7 years on December 1st.

Hope I don't jinx it but it's been absolutely flawless in that time.

Still feels like a brand new car to drive and I think I'm going to keep it for as long as it keeps going.

Still fresh looking cars

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭bbbbb

+1 my 2013 “luxury” is 6+ years and planning to keep.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

I have a 2013 IS300h for 3 years never a minutes trouble with it. Fun to drive, economical 18km/l, cheap tax, comfortable and nice looking. I paid 14K for mine and the value has held at that since. I'd highly recommend one at the right price.

Service in a Lexus dealer costs around 350 but I usually change my oil and filters myself it's very easy in these.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Check that it has a service history with the dealer. Take note of the old UK reg and then get a history check from one of the UK history check sites. I also don't have a UK car history company in particular but some may take an Irish credit card so might limit your options. If it has a main dealer service history then contact them or Lexus UK to verify what was done matches what you are seeing. You might have to tell them you bought the car as they may be reluctant to give out information due to data protection laws. Your not looking for previous owner information, just service history info.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,856 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

When you use a Lexus main dealer for a service they run a hybrid battery health check and issue a certificate to show battery is ok and warrantied for another year. If the car has main dealer history this should be present if it was serviced in the last year with them. Lexus dealers in the UK will do a seperate hybrid health check for in or around £50, I am unsure if dealers here offer this or if it must be done as part of a service, it would certainly give peace of mind to have one either still in force or have a new one run.

I'm unsure if you can continue getting the annual health check and service for 15 years cover on the hybrid battery if the car was originally UK or not, worth calling a dealer here to see.

having the hybrid system extended warranty very important

• Registered Users Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Oh, and another thing. Something that's gets overlooked on these.

There's a fan for cooling the hybrid battery behind the rear seat.

Best to make sure it's clean.

Pic taken from another website but it in t

here.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 FurrySlippers

Had an IS 300h for 2 years. Changed for an ES because I wanted a bigger car as kids were big. IS was lovely. Have had ES for over 4 years. So far, so good. Had a crash* repair done in the rear, and parts were not a problem.

Get the Android/Apple car play update to your head unit if not done already. Well worth it, because the user interface is shite, and the lexus sat navigation was designed by Satan.

All Lexus cars are really painless to own. IS turning circle is superb. That makes car parks a doddle...

*(not my fault, physics failure in the snow by other driver).

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭dubguy45

I imported my CT200h in 2018 and got the Hybrid Health Check for 60 Euro. The following year that offer was gone and the check was then part of a Service. The reason for this I was told was that too many car dealers were taking advantage of the Hybrid Check. When I said I was not a dealer and you have already done the check for me, it made no difference to Toyota. They refused me an oil only service and insisted on following the service schedule, intermediate, full etc. This averaged about 300 euro for oil and filter parts only, work I can do myself. They do call you on the phone with work they recommend the car needs and that can total about 800-1000 euro, once for spark plugs fitted for 260 euro. I had replaced these myself six weeks earlier. I have suffered this for four years but cannot afford it this year. Car is great, dealership not really, and that's a shame.

• Advertisement

is it not worth getting the service only done for hybrid check ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 FurrySlippers

Yes, if it gives you a sort of warranty. Would agree that the main dealers are a bit "schedule is everything" driven, and, a bit lazy too.

Lexus cars tend to be privately owned from new, and are either kept forever, or get sold to long term owners. Fewer fleet sales.

With the move to exclusively hybrid, the tuner crowd won't be getting the crumbs. Sure, you could mod a IS 300h, but that's like modding a Prius....

Thanks for all the tips.

Spotted this...

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-is300h-executive-edition-sat-nav-finance/35288340

...and was planning the trip to see it when everything changed. My brother in law mentioned in passing that he was trading in his car, a 202 2.5 hybrid Kuga Vignale with 40,000km. So taking that from him instead.

But will be changing the other car in a couple of years so could be in a Lexus yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Not exactly “cheap” I know but I think these are good value considering all they offer and a fine big car.

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/lexus/es-300-h/fpa/202308040428306?journey=Search

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Casati

If the budget would stretch have a look at the ES, much more executive level car and super comfortable. The Lexus warranty up to 15 years is a big advantage with buying and Irish car like this one. This one is not cheap however

Used 2019 (191) Lexus ES 300 H EXECUTIVE HYBRID // SUNROOF// FULL LEATHER HEATED SEATS // REAR CAMERA WITH LEXUS PARK ASSIST // FULL WARRANTY // €180 ROAD TAX in Dublin (carzone.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

decent value for the size and class/quality of car though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭Goose81

Don't agree, compare that interior to a 5 series or E class, it looks horrendously cheap. The whole dash looks like cheap plastic from an old 90's jap car, all around the radio and screen

Advertisement