Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First boat advice

Options
  • 22-09-2023 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Looking to purchase my first boat for sea cruising and maybe the odd bit of fishing

looking for advice on what to do , have 3 options

second hand 3m rib with 6hp €1300

brand new 3m with 6hp €2800

second hand whaly (ex hire) with 15hp

€5000

leabikg towards the hard plastic as to avoid leaks or burst tubes etc

but then 8 years old and high hours on engine but serviced

regularly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jim from Cork

It all really comes down to what you want to do and your abilities.

There is no substitute for a bit of speed and weight. From that point of view - go with the Whaly (Not pretty but functional 😉 )

Most of us decided on a budget for our boat and then proceed to spend much more. 😀

Seriously though, budget for the equipment too! Have a read here: http://www.topfisher.eu/ribs-and-sibs-getting-afloat-on-a-budget/

there's plenty on the site to interest the aspiring boat angler.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭niallpatrick

I can spot a problem with the last boat pic, wheres the PFD? personal flotation device, I wouldn't get on my boat (although a little boat) without PFD. Rod holders always a bonus anchor and a safety tether to shore just to get the hang of whatever boat you buy.

I started off sea kayaking then stopped, x amount years later I had to get back on the water but I don't have my sea certs just the kayaking certs. So budget and space being everything I opted for a 10 foot marine rated inflatable with room to modify it to suit my own needs. In calm conditions it's perfect, I steer or re-adjust my position with the oar and use a paddle board double paddle for thrust and happily fish away about 200 meters out. I'll get the small trolling motor when possible, but buy cheap pay twice and there is a lot of pit falls for the outboard or trolling motor first timer.

I'd opt for the gladiator but make sure it is fully marine rated and has a rock guard on the keel as well. Just my opinion nothing professional or all knowing. All I will say for definite is, need some head space? a boat will provide but safety first PFD always.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭niallpatrick

Edit: heres a pic of my set up, nothing fancy, I used my tackle box as a seat and wedged the supplied inflatable seats either end of the tackle box to secure it. The rods are an 8 foot telescopic and a 14 footer surf rod but thats just for scale. Cleary visible is the shore tether and my PFD. Once I'm happy I release the tether but I know what the limits are, 3 foot swells it's time to come in and another thing is washing the boat down with clean fresh water asap plus there will be dirt in the boat and on the keel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

I’d probably avoid an inflatable myself. They’re not my first choice at all for sea fishing. I’ve had one or two in the past and plenty of people use them but they wouldn’t suit me. If you don’t have access to a decent slipway to launch something's like the Whaly that’s heavier then an inflatable might be an option. But if you are able to launch I’d go for a hard boat personally.

out of the 3 you posted I’d have the whaly but I think if you add a small bit to the price of that package you’d get a decent boat with a better range. I’d agree with what Jim said above. Stretch your budget and get something that will last you and something that your fishing and ability can grow into.

Maybe a seahog seajeep or hunter might suit?

Advertisement