Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Class 1 vs Class 2 insurance

Options
  • 22-09-2023 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

I am having a hard time getting an answer from my work on this.

I am office based and drive to my office most of the time. Perhaps a half dozen days a year I need to drive to meeting in different office locations or at hotel conference rooms.

Very occasionally I also visit construction sites. For this I am just being given a tour. I don't fo work there or carry equipment to or from bar hiviz protective equipment etc.

Is Class 1 sufficient. I am with Liberty. I have seen reference to Class 1a and Class 1b online but the policy I have just says Class 1.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,334 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I'm not sure if there is a legal definition of Class 1, Class 2 etc. but typically, Class 1 refers to cover for use of your car for sales and if you are not in sales and not carrying goods or samples, you need 'Class 2 restricted business use'. It sounds like you have more cover than you need. But you'd need to clarify that with Liberty. As I said, I don't believe there is a legal definition of Class 1 so to Liberty, it may mean any business use, with or without sales.

I wrote to Axa a few years ago, outlined my situation (which is similar to yours), told them I was not in sales, was not carrying goods or samples but that I occasionally neeed to drive on business and asked for restricted business use. Which they gave me for free. They simply issued me with a new cert. which said I was covered for business use. And on the cert., the business use which is covered is: 'as last advised by the insured'.

I am having a hard time getting an answer from my work on this.

Your employer only cares about their liability, not yours and when you get any kind of business use cover for your personal car, you typically ask that it includes an indemnity for your employer.

Post edited by coylemj on

Advertisement