Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to convert a van, What is the best base vehicle?

Options
  • 22-09-2023 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,488 ✭✭✭✭

Due to being medically retired I've got quite a bit of free time on my hands. I am considering doing a van conversion as a bit of make work to keep me busy and at the end of it all. To have a very comfortable 2/3 berth camper that the Mrs and I can use to do trips around Ireland and Europe.

I am quite handy, and have the added advantage of a brother who is an excellent welder. On the build itself, I'd hope to finish to a high standard and include a toilet/shower bay in it too.

My main question is. What is a good van to base it off? I see lots of recommendations for Ducato and Sprinter and I can see the plus points there. But, are there any sleeper candidates flying under the radar? Is there any value to be had buying in a van from NI? I know it'll need VRTing within 7 days here and needing to be VRT'd again once the conversion is complete.

My thinking is pick up a decent base van in and around 10yrs old, then pick up scrapped caravan interior, a couple of captain seats and build it out from there.

Any tips, criticisms or ideas will be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭GavPJ

A garage I worked in years ago done one using a high roof long wheel base Citroen Relay

and the interior of an old caravan.

They said never again. The hours and hours and material that went into it were mental.

Even when it was finished it was just ok. Nothing special or fancy. Be prepared for a lot

of work. That was over 10 year ago though.

On the other hand, a guy that lives a few doors up from me seems to do about 1 of these

a year. He buys Citroen Relays, Peugeot Boxers, Renault Masters etc, the tried and tested

camper van bases and takes his time at them. I don't know him so I've never spoken to him

but a friend of a friend bought one of his builds and it is really really nice! It is more than likely

someone is doing kits for the above mentioned vans and you can tinker with the spec. My neighbour

does it all in his front driveway too. Like you, he is retired and has plenty of time. Best of luck and

start a thread if you do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭Shoog

Look at the 2000 era Renault masters. My mechanic described these as bulletproof if you can find a clean one. Well maintained, ie full service history with no gaps, and the later models are reputed to be good to. They went from a simple basic diesel engine which any amateur mechanic could work on, to a complex modern engine which is beyond most amateurs. They have a very flimsy timing chain which relies on good oil and solid oil pressure to keep the correct tension. I have heard of plenty of these engines snapping a chain. There is also the issue of clogged and worn out DPF and CAT on newer models.

This is the strategy I am looking at and my feeling is that the Renault master hits the sweet spot between price Vs reliability.

Heard far to many anecdotal stories of Sprinters blowing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I would think about the layoiut you want first and go from there:

eg just on the bed, do you want transverse or longitudinal/ single/island or double

also plan your leisure bayberry set up with solar PV.

Also what head room do you want.

I recently bought one in Europe to a spec I had and it took looking at 50+ vans before I found what I wanted

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Some alternatives:

Ex-ambulances - pros are that they are lined and floored, boxy (so easy to work with and fit stuff), already have storage and an independent power supply. Good route front to back and a handy door (as opposed to a bulky sliding g door on a panel van). They will likely have been serviced well.

Cons are that they will be high mileage, the shite has been driven out of them. It will always look like an ambulance. Also possibly haunted.

Ex-minibus. Pros: loads of windows so no need to cut into the van. Floored and lined already (but will lack insulation), could possibly have lighting/power throughout depending on the model, though not on independent power. Cons: will likely have high mileage and bad mileage at that and may not have been maintained as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,488 ✭✭✭✭banie01

One I forgot to include. They do seem to run forever with the correct care.

Thanks for the tips. Headroom is probably my most important concern, ahead of even the layout in the immediate selection criteria. The joys of being a tad over 6'4" make any headroom a bonus😁

On the likes of ex-ambulance, incident vehicles and so on? Whilst they will all be high mileage. Would it be a safe assumption that as fleet vehicles, that they are/were at least well maintained with good service histories?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Kiwi John

Large vans,transit,raley type size are not made to last,

They are all prone to rust and there a cottage industry replacing sils welding wheel arches etc and in the case of camper vans they can need to have some of your fit out removed before welding.

On what model stay away from sprinters,they seem to be designed to last till the warranty ends and not a day more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

On the likes of ex-ambulance, incident vehicles and so on? Whilst they will all be high mileage. Would it be a safe assumption that as fleet vehicles, that they are/were at least well maintained with good service histories?

Generally yes, but there is very little value in them at the end of their lives - they are often given to voluntary first-aid organisations for free.

Also, the newer models that have the hydraulic loading ramp on the rear are supposedly very heavily sprung at the back to handle the additional weight making them quite uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

From what I can see, Ducato is the biggest and widest, transit and sprinters are also good options. I like the look of VW crafters. Having hand several Renault cars I wouldn't buy one of their vans, to many silly simple things go wrong.

I wouldn't get a caravan parts, they end up looking naff. There's a guy on youtube in the UK who did a budget conversion for 900 pounds, you'll find it easily. He's got some great idea,

for example these https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/skorva-midbeam-galvanised-90124534/

and https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spare-Hardware-Parts-Replacement-Mounting/dp/B09FFVBBM6/ref=asc_df_B09FFVBBM6/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=586175946124&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14717299625950674250&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007850&hvtargid=pla-1667310369804&th=1

to make up a bed frame with ikea slats across them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Shad0r

Been down that road. Sprinter or Ducato will give you the widest range of compatible things. (for example mossie netting that doesn't suck for the doors)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭Shoog

Seen a few Iveco campers recently, good size and well built by the looks of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement