Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPU Upgrade from GTX 970 For PCVR

Options
  • 22-09-2023 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭

Here are some details of my PC:

I can run wireless PCVR games at the moment well enough. E.g. Walkabout Mini Golf.

Looking to upgrade the GPU to something that can play Half-Life Alyx in VR on Quest 2. Minimum Requirements:

I dont really care if its on low settings. Just as long as its smooth enough and playable.

This would allow me to play a lot of other cross play Rift titles Ive already bought for Quest 2 but for now I want to play HL Alyx.

Can I just slot a better GPU into my PC or do I need to upgrade some other components?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭jj880

Just looked through my old emails.

The PSU on this PC blew in 2020. It was a CORSAIR CX600.

I got it replaced with a CX650 as thats all Currys had in stock if that makes any difference.

Im looking at RTX 2060 or RTX 2060 Super as it seems the PSU should be able to handle it.

Apparently either card can run HL Alyx on medium / low settings.

I guess Im wondering if there might be any bottle necks anywhere in my system that will hold it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Maybe look for a second hand 1080Ti for good performance in HL Alyx, you should be able to pick up one for ~250euro.

Thats what i used back when HL Alys was released and it was great.

Its also stronger than a 2060 Super, doesnt have Ray Tracing but RT performance would be awful on 2060 Super anyway.

Thanks.

You reckon Id need to upgrade anything else in case of bottlenecks for that card?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

well the CPU for sure would bottleneck that card but PSU would be ok "https://www.guru3d.com/review/geforce-gtx-1080-ti-review/page-34/#power-consumption", it depends how you want upgrade, money etc. e.g. if you put a 1080Ti in that rig, it should play it fine, e.g. https://www.reddit.com/r/WindowsMR/comments/foscq6/half_life_alyx_on_older_hardware/

However you might just get the upgrade bug with a new gfx card just because you will know the CPU will be holding it back a bit and a balanced system is always best but that depends on having money for that upgrade too.

My old system which was well balanced for the 1080Ti was 6800K(6 core CPU) with 32Gig Ram but e.g. i picked up a 4070Ti earlier in the year and just went feck it an got an AMD 7800X3D, mobo and DDR5 RAM just so its balanced and AMDs new CPU's next year will be compatible.

You could look at a cheap AMD 5600/5600X + AM4 mobo, but ideally you would run that with 3600 DDR4 RAM. 5800X3D is better again of course and would have some legs for a few years but more expensive.

• Advertisement

I have this thread posted over in PC Building & Upgrading forum also. They are saying similar to you. They reckon 500 euro to upgrade properly.

There are some good offers from Palicomp UK Im looking at for a new PC for Christmas for around 700 euro. Might just bite the bullet and get 1 of them for dedicated Gaming/VR. Keep my current box for an office PC.

From your 2nd link:

Im running it with a gtx 1050 4b, 16 gb of ram, i7 7700hq and the 436.48 nvidia drivers and it runs ok

Is this guy talking nonsense? According to userbenchmark.com my card + cpu are better.

I think I might just buy HL Alyx + Virtual Desktop and try running it. I assumed it would refuse to run at all.

Advertisement