Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Optimum angle for Solar Panels in Kildare

Options
  • 22-09-2023 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

after entering my neck of the woods in an online calculator for the optimum angle of solar panels I got a range from 30 degrees from the horizontal in June to 76 degrees from the horizontal in December. Anyone got an opinions on a happy medium for the year for angle A? The panels are to go on a pergola type structure that will be around 2 metres tall at the low point of the panels. Don’t want to be going too mad with the height if it can be avoided!

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Theory: You want to slightly favor "winter" in my opinion. The logic being is that the days are short, sun is low power and you want to maximise the production as much as you can. With your panels optimised for summer during those months, you probably have more than you need in summer and you'll be exporting anyway.

Reality: It doesn't matter much what you do with the angles the difference is small. Pump in 1Kwp into PVGIS

JRC Photovoltaic Geographical Information System (PVGIS) - European Commission (europa.eu)

with a slope of say 20 deg, which will generate 26Kwh..... and then 30 deg which will generate 31 Kwh. Yeah, sure it's more with the 30deg, but it's only like 5 Kwh. Which isn't a lot over the course of a month. Ideally, if you could do it, vertically mounted panels specifically for winter production say 60-70 deg from the horizontal is the way to go, but not really feasible on a roof (some high wind could cause a problem)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭DC999

+1 to Bullit.

Winter solar output better suits panels more close to vertical. But…winter storms like big 1.8m sail-like structures to play with 😊

Ignoring the angle for now, orientate the pergola due south to produce the most. With FIT at 20c+ at the moment, facing South (if garden allows that) means you’ll get paid more exporting to the grid.

I’ve panels on a NW roof and they hibernate from end Sept to late March – sun just won’t hit them at all. Through winter, angle on them won’t matter as there is no sun on them. So orientation of the panels matters more.

Stick up one more panel and it more than makes up for it a less than optimum winter angle I reckon.

If it’s a pergola, go with the angle you’re making it. And have it facing south. And please do post pics after – could give us all some good DIY ideas 😊

Advertisement