Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timing Belt Price

Options
  • 21-09-2023 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

Got quoted €350 - 380 to get timing belt and water pump done in local garage. Agreed the price and dropped car in the following day. Mechanic rang me and said car is ready to collect and cost is €550. When asked why the price was so much dearer he said he had to get a dearer belt.

Am I being ripped off here and am I liable to pay this? He quoted me €350 - 380 on two separate visits to the garage.

Post edited by Spear on
    Tagged:

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 73,389 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Seems a bit wild that the belt would be €200 more than anticipated.

€350 is a bit on the low side for a timing belt change too. €550 including a water pump and coolant change would be about right.

I would argue that he should have rang you once he found out that the belt was going to be the most expensive timing belt in history, and try and negotiate on that basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

He's trying to shaft you, no way there is a difference of 200 euro for the cost of a timing belt.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Advertisement