Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice for a 40-yo driver

Options
  • 21-09-2023 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

I’m a 40-yo female that recently passed the driving test for an automatic, and now looking to buy my first car to use primarily for commuting to work. I’m hoping to get some advice and tips on what type of car would be best suited for me.

I’ll be using the car 3-4 days from M-F, anywhere between 20-40kms total each day. This would mostly be on Dublin roads and very little of the M50. A few kms for the grocery run or other short trips on weekends.

My budget is max 7k.

I’m 5’3” in height.

I’m looking at the likes of the Micra, Jazz or Yaris from 2012. Would these be good options for me to consider?

Thanks so much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,513 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

They are all decent. I've been driving Kia the past number of years and have found them very good. A Kia Ceed from around 2014 might come in at that price. (Not the SW, just the regular Kia Ceed).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I'd be looking at Yaris all day long. Don't like them particularly myself but they're a great car and that's all you want at the moment.

Should be a few autos around, usually Japanese imports but don't let that put you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭midnightblue

Thanks for the tip on the Kia Ceed, I'll put that in the list.

I did most of my lessons on a Ford Fiesta, which I really enjoyed driving. But they're hard to find now and probably over my budget. No issues with the imports at all. Thanks for the steer!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

My partner is in your exact situation with the same budget but is not tied to an auto.

I advised her to go with a fiesta/swift or similar sized car even though she is set on a mini, time will tell if she heeds me 😄

The main advice i would give is get out there and drive afew cars and don't feel obliged to buy the first one you see, find what suits yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭User1998

Anything Japanese will be reliable. Test drive a few and see which you prefer.

Just make sure they have an alarm and immobiliser installed.

I hear you! Once the blinkers are on... :D

Thanks for the tips. I'm not in a mad rush to get one so will definitely try a few before making up my mind. A Swift is also something I'm considering.

Advertisement