Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rebuild old pc

Options
  • 21-09-2023 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,003 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

So my old 10y/o workhorse is finally starting to let me down, so am looking to replace its innards..

it’s an old 4670k, asrock 87m with 24gb of ddr3

I have a GTX1080 in it which has been doing ok with what I ask of it, so probably retain it.

also have a reasonably new seasonic focus+ platinum 750w psu, and the case is grand - fractal design define mini. could be tempted by something smaller - potentially something that would fit on a desk if I was to change to a standing desk in the future.

Using a 1440p monitor

so looking for a matx motherboard (for the define mini case), cpu, memory combo to drop in.

requirements wise, looking for an Nvme slot for a 2TB card, it doesn’t need Wi-Fi. Would like it to be quiet..

I am currently thinking 7600X or 13600K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Coyler

You could get better RAM or a better drive but you won't notice the difference in the real world baring some niche use case. I'd avoid Intel for now as you;d be buying into a dead platform. FYI, 16GB is also perfectly fine if you wanted to save a few bucks but seeing RAM is cheap right now might not hurt going all in and get 32.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/XJL4dH

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7600X 4.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (€265.45 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Motherboard: MSI PRO B650M-A WIFI Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard (€175.14 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory (€113.82 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Storage: Crucial P3 Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (€79.98 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Total: €634.39

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-09-21 14:58 CEST+0200

There is another route and that's to go for a Ryzen R5 5600, B550, 16GB RAM combo. You could get those for half the price and still have plenty of CPU power to cover you for years. Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,003 ✭✭✭Wossack

Really appreciate your comment there @Coyler

good tip about using the part picker.de site 👍

I like the idea of the am5, for future upgradability (as my past experience is anything to go by), so happy to go that route

Took your above suggestion and tweaked it slightly to use:

corsair vengence 32Gb ddr5-6000 (109.9e)

am considering going for a 7600 to just stick with the stock cooler. Would possibly need a new cooler (I do have an existing hyper 212, but unsure if the mounting h/w..) if I go for the 7600x…

removed the Ssd, as I might go for the cash back offer on the Samsung drives- but do take on your comment

while poking around the amazon.de site, I found the following mobo:

ASUS Prime B650M-A II - which was slightly cheaper (e157.56) and well reviewed. No Wi-Fi, but not a deal breaker as have Ethernet to my desk here. It didnt show up on the part picker site though

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Coyler

"Then, we have the Asus Prime series, which includes the Prime B650M-A WiFi, Prime B650-Plus, and Prime B650M-A WiFi II. Unfortunately, we must recommend avoiding these. Like the ultra-affordable Gigabyte B650M K, the Asus Prime boards all use discrete MOSFETs, resulting in poor VRM thermals."

Cross reference with that article. The Asrock B650 Pro RS is another good option as it fallen in price from that review and the Gigabyte B650M DS3H is a decent call as well. Pick from those and the MSI one I'd argue.

The 7600 is perfectly fine. Again, day-to-day use you'd notice no difference from the 7600x.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,003 ✭✭✭Wossack

dust settled on this one, so bit of an update

I purchased the following from amazon.de: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/KZFvfy - ~645e all in

Ordered 21st, delivered 27th (opted for priority shipping as it was only 2e more then regular)

All went well, fitting into my existing FD Define Mini.

I had issues with the cooler - the hyper 212 I had didnt have the AM4/AM5 bracket (was that old..!), so I was using the stock cooler for a while there but was quite noisy. Ive since replaced with a Peerless Assassin, which just came yesterday and its miles apart - PC has never been quieter.

No major issues encountered with this combination of parts - got the ddr5 running at full speed etc with a bit of bios tinkering. The new cpu coolers front fan is raised maybe 3-4mm higher then I would like owing to the high profile of the ram, but tis grand really.

My old PC was on its last legs with a sporadic freezing issue, but I had hoped it would last long enough for me to put a windows 10 bootable usb together. That didnt turn out to be the case however and the original 120GB SSD gave up the ghost completely leaving me pretty stuck, with no other usable Windows machines in the house.. Steam deck to the rescue though, and using ventoy managed to put a USB together and got things back on track

Wifi on the board I had dismissed, but came in pretty handy being able to build the pc on the kitchen table downstairs (outside the office)

Thanks very much @Coyler and @K.O.Kiki for your help with this one

• Advertisement
Advertisement