Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One tough Robin in my garden

Options
  • 20-09-2023 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

Ok so the background to this story of this tough Robin is this....I have a large bamboo in my garden and the dense vegetation and fallen bamboo leaves are ideal for mice to make their home it seems, with this in mind I do set a nouse trap - this trap is at the base of the bamboo, the base of which I have encased with some chicken wire to keep it in same shape as to where it is. So one day last week my dog was barking mad near the bamboo I went to investigate and noticed the mouse trap on the footpath I thought a mouse was caught in the trap and perhaps dying but as I got closer I could see, to my dismay, it was a bird and in fact a Robin Redbreast!! He had wandered into the bamboo and his foot had triggered the mouse trap. The Robin had dragged the trap about two feet away from the bamboo onto the footpath. As I got closer I could see his leg was badly damaged and quite a bit of blood for a small bird. I managed to free the bird and before I could react the Robin had dashed into some nearby hedging! My wife and I were very upset as you can understand.

I didn't see the Robin for a few days after this and suspected that he would have succumbed to his injuries or died from the shock of the event HOWEVER a few days later the Robin appeared close to the door of my garden shed his damaged leg tucked under his body!! He would always come close to my shed and even sometimes into my shed foraging for food! I threw some bird seed on the wall and the Robin ate it!

I have seen the Robin a few times over the course of the past two weeks and am astonished and delighted that he is surviving and even overcoming his serious injuries

Here are a couple of photos I took of him from this afternoon outside my shed. From the photos it looks as though the injured leg is totally gone as before I would see it tucked under his body

I am hoping that he will survive the autumn/ winter, what do ye think??

This bird is unbelievable in my eyes!

'When robins appear, loved ones are near'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Ljmscooter

Oh man, he looks great for his trials

I hope he survives.

Fantastic pics

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cuttlefish

Took with my iPhone I'd like to get my proper camera out and get some better/ closer pics! I will always recognise this guy LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

You should name him.

Something like Paul or Robyn etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

Poor little fella, I love robins they have great personalities and some are fierce. I have one that dive bombs the cat!

keep feeding him nice high energy food to help him recover and make it less stressful for him to feed himself whilst his leg heals

Some photos of my tough little Robin Redbreast! Doing well and visits me regularly!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

They are mad little feckers.

I also had one that hung around me when out doing stuff in the garden.

Wife used to be cracked up laughing, as soon as I went out it would appear.

Any truth in the fact that they give the other small birds hell?

He allows me to get quite close to him but can't get him to take food from my hand!

House sparrows, being as noisy as they are, will force the Robin away from the feeding table. He is also a timid eater I bought dried mealy worms especially for him and put them out when he is around. He will eat some but not all whereas House Sparrows will devour the lot!!

Couple of photos from the past few days!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭AmpMan

Why would you try kill mice that are outside ? there is no need for it

Well had an infestation in my wooden shed so had to control them. They had actually eaten into a sealed pack of black sunflower seeds, Now all bird food is stored in plastic boxes.

Advertisement