Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

long Covid Athletes

Options
  • 20-09-2023 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Haven’t seen anything on this here yet. Wondering people’s thoughts on long Covid and recovery, getting back to running/ exercising. If people have, how long it took (beyond 3 months)..

Post edited by RacoonQueen on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great idea for a thread. I know a few athletes in the long covid camp, not sure they realise it themselves though, which can be part of the problem.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Took me a good solid year to get back feeling ok.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Got covid in January 2022, still not right since

I get run down easier and things take much more out of me since they used to, very very frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I got covid in early January and it's definitely taking me a weeks to start feeling even somewhat normal.

It coincides with a big drop in fitness post marathon too, so it's hard to tell what's what.

My last run just a couple of days previous to covid was a 6k and it felt very normal, could have done more.

My first run post covid was a 5k, not a crazy pace or anything, but my heart rate hit 190 towards the end! Couldn't have ran 6k if you paid me

Slowly been getting easier every time I go out. On Saturday I did a 8.5k on Saturday and felt fine, first time I felt fairly normal.

I know it's probably not considered "long" but it definitely seems to impact more than the week or whatever you have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭event

Yes it takes a while to get back up to speed, I experienced same with HR too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 PTPaulAC

How are you feeling now? and just curious what kind of distance were you used to compared with now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Back to "normal" I would say now.I did DCM last year and was doing 70km some weeks during training. I was running a decent bit during November and December, but nothing like the few months before, so I wasn't as fit as I was, but not terrible I'm a bit heavier than I was which also doesn't help.

I did 42k the week before last, bit of a step back last week due to a sore back but will do 40k again this week.

I'm obviously not as fit as I was during marathon training, but it feels appropriate for what I've done and the extra weight. The few weeks after covid it was nearly like I had never ran before!

Advertisement