Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2011 Vstrom 1000 or 2007 BMW 1200GSA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

Honestly the BMW is a completly different machine, the ohlins shocks are about €1000 alone

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭RobertM

The mileage on both though.. Personally it would put me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Neither has high mileage for their age. But each to their own.

BMW 5220km a year - 16 y/o bike.

V Strom 6350km a year - 12 y/o bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

It's a tough one.

If something does go wrong with the Beemer it could be an expensive repair however I am not sure how durable the V-Strom engine is given the mileage.

I used to own the V-Strom 650 from the same era which was a grand bike.

If the BMW was religiously maintained (with receipts to proof) I would probably choose it over the V-Strom.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,640 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Both engines a near bomb proof.

Anyone who thinks a vstrom engine with those miles even blinks doesn't know the bike at all.

For refinement and ride I'd probably go bmw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Yep. Milege wouldn't bother me at all.

I'd an 06 650GS from new, for 14 years, 116K km, nothing wrong with the engine when I replaced it in 2020. Regular servicing kept it sweet.

Only for the rusted chassis from riding in all sorts daily, I'd still have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Where do you live ? I’m in Dublin and don’t want to pay main dealer labour charges. I’ve a BMW and getting a good mechanic that knows and understands BMW’s is not easy. But I still love my Adventure.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The Suzuki 1000 V-tiwn (SV or Strom) is pretty much bulletproof, there is a known issue with the SVs about alternator magnets becoming detached but I think they fixed that before the Stroms.

I'd go Japanese every time, less likely to go wrong, less likely to break the bank if it does go wrong. Cheaper to buy and consumables are cheaper too.

I chose the SV1000 last time I bought a bike - there was a good Strom on offer but I don't like the high riding position and I've long arms, so the supposedly long and low handlebar position on the SV (which is nothing like as bad as it's made out to be) is no problem for me. Front end feel is all important as far as I'm concerned so the feeling that I'll put in a turn input and sometime next week the bike will react is not really my thing 🤣

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement