Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT on UK car already in the country

Options
  • 19-09-2023 11:04pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, friend of mine is looking to buy a car. They have seen one that's a UK reg, but it's been in Ireland for a while. When they go to VRT it, is it based on their purchase date or the date it came into the country and then as such would be liable for penalties?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭zg3409

Is it a northern Irish reg?

They often look for proof it arrived recently and if not apply extra fees. I would avoid unless you are experienced with import process. There may be a good reason previous buyer did not register it immediately.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Thanks, I'll feed that back. If they still have the UK reg (don't think it's NI) and still have a UK address, I assume it could be perceived that was it was imported only recently, or would they have to prove when they brought it into the country? (EG: if they buy it now, and the previous owner still had it registered to their home address in the UK, would it not be plausible that my friend "only brought it over now"?)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

What if it was previously presented for vrt and the previous owner never paid.

It could have a huge penalty against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Don't forget the nox tax that's also part of the vrt process and also the vat and duty due on a uk car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

There could easily be VAT and customs duty due too unless you can prove these have already been paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Thanks everyone. I'll tell them to avoid. Did a quick VRT calculator on the car and is €1190 VRT (says that the co2 and box charges). Assume there wouoe be vat on it too. My understanding is it's less than €5000 for the car

Advertisement