Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bicycle front light recommendation

Options
  • 19-09-2023 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

Looking to get a light for winter commute. Part if the trip is thru woods so would need to be fairly bright.

Would upto €40-50 get me a decent front light?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

This light from Halfords or a previous version of it is often recommended for night riding on unlit roads. There is also a slightly cheaper version

https://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bike-accessories/bike-lights/halfords-advanced-1800-lumen-front-bike-light-693718.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Thanks for the reply, sent me in the right direction

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/accessories/lights/front-light/halfords-advanced-1600-lumen-front-bike-light-review/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The issue I have had with a number of these is that while they are bright and let you be seen, they may not illuminate the road/trail far enough ahead to avoid potholes etc, so depends what you want.

Keep well

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭johnjohn3423

I have the cateye ampp1100, its pricey but will light up a dark country road or forest trail going 30km/h. My advice is to get something right as when cycling in complete darkness you are relying on the front light 100% to keep you safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,436 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The Halfords one is actually really good and illuminates the road /trails well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭secman

I use the Magic light, have used it over last 2 winter's, quite powerful, rarely use it on full power. The battery is a seperate unit and straps onto crossbar.

Tried Halfords. None left

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I see these advertised in that big Cavan bike store but I haven't been any Dublin bike shops selling them. They're sandwich Garmin mountable if you like. Looks very neat. Has anyone here any experience of them?

Dunno if they'd be powerful enough for mtb by moonlight now, perhaps more of a "be seen" road bike light.

Edit - it's called the Raveman.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,859 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Raveman?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I've got one for my good bike. Its marketed as a daytime light and I'd agree with that description - it doesn't light up the road in the dark (which suits me as my good bike isn't out in the dark!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭ARX

I have one, bought direct from the manufacturer. I bought it because I reckoned the side visibility of my Bontrager Ion probably wasn't the best as (mounted on the bars) the hoods and my hands might obscure it to some extent from the side. The Ravemen has side visibility panels and it sits further forward.

It fits into my Wahoo mount firmly enough although not as positively as the Wahoo computer. The computer fits well enough into the mount on top of the light although there's a little play. I got a tether for the computer in case the light parted company from the Wahoo mount.

It's definitely a daytime light only. The light is diffused so won't illuminate the ground in front of you - that's not what it's for.

Battery life doesn't seem to be great - I don't have a figure for run time though. On the whole I'd say it's a good buy.

I'll put up a photo or two in the next day or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭nilhg

That's the usual go to page for anyone wanting lights for riding on or off road in the dark, depending on how long the OPs commute is battery life and charging time can be as or more important than the actual light and depending on how long the Op expects to be doing this commute for buying a (dearer) good quality light is usually better than several cheaper poor ones on the basis you do not want to be left stranded in the dark.

Making of video is interesting too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emXOmvq0vfY

For some reason they have the lights In the storeroom none in the racks (theft perhaps)

Got an 1800 lumen one . Brighter than the sun

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

humphries sell them. I bought one today. It's a total ripoff of the fabric lumaray

• Registered Users Posts: 24,973 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

What sort of dollars are Humphries charging?

A few in the club have them. Like the neatness of them but definitely a daytime 'to be seen' light.

40 euro. Probably cheaper online but I feel like they'd undercharged me for a few things lately

I've heard about €40 online plus postage. Thanks.

Just had a quick look, actually cheaper than anywhere online. The odd place is 38 but postage is 7 or so.

He had a few there. Had sold a couple earlier in the week when I was there dropping bike in. Going to test it tomorrow hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

Have one of these, found them a bit crap to be honest, as said above very definitely a 'be seen' light, and not terribly bright at all. Have since got the Moon MX and it's far superior. Much brighter and the angle of the light can be adjusted. Bit fiddly to use, button sequence is a bit of a learning curve but once you get the hang of it it's very good... https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07YN2Y1JR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Definitely a daytime light and needs charging properly after a couple of spins ( 2-3 hours each) but nice and neat. If you want to buy from a B+M shop, spin doctor in Emyvale stocks them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭gn3dr

For a discreet front light fitted under the Garmin I got this . https://www.altitude.ie/accessories/lights/bontrager-ion-200-rt-usb-rechargeable-cycling-front-light-in-black__4982?currency=EUR&chosenAttribute=553853&gclid=CjwKCAjw9-6oBhBaEiwAHv1QvCpzMoOwOVq6LZuhGC2RQmLj2GmioLSgziQSEU33ALW4wjFMI1wLXRoC0GAQAvD_BwE

It can serve as a bit better than a "be seen" light if stuck but I just use it in flashing mode all the time as a drl. It's Bluetooth so switches on and off automatically when you start and stop the Garmin, also switches from flash to beam mode when it gets dark (again driven by the head unit).

Use this mount with the go pro type mount under the Garmin mount.

https://www.altitude.ie/components/finishing-kit/bontrager-blendr-universal-ion-mount-stem-in-black__9309

AFAIK you can't really get the lumaray any more (some places might have left over stock) and it's not listed on the Fabroc website. I'm curious (but too lazy to check) if the patent was bought out by Ravemen.

I bought the Ravemen FR160 and one of the main reasons was that I didn't want anything scratching the bars on my good bike. Also the aero bars don't lend themselves to many of the lights available on the market and while there are many which have rubber mounts, I still felt that there could be scratching from the light itself. Plus it cuts down on the clutter on the bars (which is already an integrated setup). Anal reasons but it was important to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭ARX

I'm going to stop using this light. I haven't been impressed by the brightness, the battery life or the 'low battery' warning LED (invisible in daylight).

Yesterday it came loose from the Wahoo mount while I was riding. If you're going to use one of these I'd advise using a tether in case the light falls off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I happened to be in Hollingsworth Kilmacud and they had them in stock so I bought two of em (one for the Mrs as well). I think they're fantastic in terms of form factor. Really neat the way it incorporates into the garmin mount and takes the Garmin atop. I use the triple flashing setting and it lasts no bother for a 4 to 5 hour spin at the weekend where I really just want a notification light to catch motorists' attention coming toward me. I have a Garmin varia on the rear, which in fairness is a much much better and more visible light from distance, but you need that extra brightness moreso for traffic behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Trekker09

I like the look of that neat set up - but a couple of questions as the info in the link is a bit vague.

1. Is the angle of the actual light adjustable or does the whole Garmin mount have to be adjusted?
    2. Any run time stats? (The link seems to just provide irrelevant recharging times as opposed to run times).

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Trekker09

It hasn't arrived yet but am looking forward to trying it out. I've switched from Garmin to Wahoo so thought I'd tidy up the cockpit area. I was looking at the Raveman but this caught my eye. As far as I know the head unit sits flush and I don't think there's any way of adjusting the mount. I'll let you know more when I've stacked up a few spins.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭rdhma

If budget allows, this one is really, really powerful at 8000 lumen. Can be helmet or bar mounted.

Overkill for road use, sure but I use it off-road as well.

^^^ Does it use a car battery?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭rdhma

Battery is a bit over 400g, but fits in a jacket pocket or attaches to the frame.

It needs to be switched to low power mode on the road or cars will be flashing 'cos they're blinded.

Advertisement