Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing a bathroom fan and found an extra live

Options
  • 19-09-2023 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

An old bathroom fan gave up the ghost after 20 years and I'm looking to replace it like for like.

When I took the cover off I noticed an extra live just sitting there.

Is (was) this for a fan with a timer originally and then no timer fan fitted?

Is it best just to get the same fan and leave that live as is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,839 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

At a guess I'd say you are correct that it was for a fan with a timer that wasn't fitted. I think they are standard requirement now so I'd replace it one that has the delayed timer if it was me.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭10-10-20

No way would I go back to a standard on/off type. Go for a humidity controlled unit for better results than a timer model.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭batman1

Thanks. I should mention there's no isolator switch for the fan, just goes on and off with the light switch .

I'll replace it with a timer one.

It's relatively short term as we plan on upgrading the house in a few years etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Just double-check now that the live works. Isolate it fully and swap it over with the existing live and then power it back up. If it's a p-live then the fan should obviously stay on when the light is out.

Advertisement