Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private Autism Assessment

Options
  • 18-09-2023 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭

Hi all, looking for some recommendations for Private Autism Assessment practices in the Leinster region. My 15yr old daughter suffers from terrible social anxiety and it has severely affected her schooing. She is currently on CAMHS waiting list, but I've been informed it could be up to 2 years before a diagnosis is made by going down the public route. We have decided to go Private in an effort to expedite the process. Appreciate any recommendations or advice, thanks in advance.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

We used CNEAP (https://childrensassessmentpractice.ie/) for our much younger child, but they are worth giving a call anyhow. Even private places are busy and under resourced though, so not sure of wait times now. You can expect to pay upwards of 1500 for a private assessment, and it's not something that is covered under health insurance unfortunately, at least under our policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭NeutralHandle

You might find more options if you don't mind a drive. We used http://listowelchildrensservices.ie/index.php. one part of the assessment was someone observing him in playschool, but they travelled to limerick to do this without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

There's the Children's Clinic in Sandycove. They come highly recommended by friends but they are very expensive. One friend had her child assessed there and it was €3k+. We used the Adult and Child Therapy Centre in Sandyford. The autism assessment cost €1,650 (this was two years ago). If you take out a child health insurance policy with VHI you'll get a contribution of €250 to the cost of the assessment. They also pay out 50% of the cost of a speech therapist or occupational therapist (unlimited visits), and €25 per visit to a psychologist (up to 7 visits per year) and €25 per visit to child counsellor (up to 7 visits per year).

I believe the cost of it is about €30 a month from what others tell me - but I can't be sure as we pay a lump sum for the entire family and I'm not sure I've ever gotten an individual quote.

• Administrators Posts: 13,769 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Leinster is a large area. Laura Regan is based in Dungarvan in Waterford (Munster I know but close enough to Leinster).

• Registered Users Posts: 2 WIThost2021

@brokenbad Hi, I am in the same boat as you with my 15 year old daughter. Can I ask if you used Laura Regan? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Hi https://www.boards.ie/profile/962663/WIThost2021 We eventually found a Private Clinic in Dublin and met with Clinical Psychologist Dr Sharon Elias & Therapist Lynsey Forde - they provided us with an in-house assessment with our daughter and a follow up review with a detailed report. Highly recommended - link to their website below.

Caroline Winstanley

Advertisement