Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old boreen, right of way?

Options
  • 18-09-2023 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭

There's an old boreen along a river near where i live. It passes a cottage and goes on about another 200m before it's blocked. It used lead down to a little beach.

As it's a boreen would it still be a right of way or are they treated the same as private property ie would the cottage owner have ownership of it?

Or where could I find out, it's not marked in yellow on the land registry but i know that's not a guarantee. County council office? Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,195 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Before it was blocked, who used to use it? And, before it was blocked, was it gated?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Just locals using it to get to the sea. It's never been gated, and still isn't until near the end (but that's another issue)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Squatman

check land direct or similar. SHoudl be possibel to identify right of way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

It's not a right of way on landdirect, but i know that doesn't mean it's not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

In theory if it goes from a public place to another public place and has been used since living memory it could be a public right of way. A public ROW runs over private property. A big catch for proving a public right of way is showing dedication by the landowner. This in most cases will be a previous owner and not the current owner of the land. However i believe if it has been used since living memory a presumtion if dedication may be presumed.

It is up to the county coucil of the area to assert if there is a public ROW. If enough locals say they have used it all thier lives till recently then the CC might asert it. Most councils will have a list of public rights of way in its council. However just because there is no record of one does not mean a public ROW does not exist.

County councils might be slow to assert a public right of way after the disaster in sligo Lissadell estate dispute. Sligo council lost €7m in legal costs asserting a ROW that was not proven in court.

• Advertisement
Advertisement