Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superbowl Loser's Curse

Options
  • 17-09-2023 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭

So 66 QBs have made an Superbowl start.

Of them 31 won their Superbowl starting debut and 35 lost.

Of those that won on their debut 15 have made it back to the big game a 2nd time and 11 have won a 2nd SB at some point in their career. This is not a bad repeat rate with just under half getting back and over a third getting at least a 2nd ring.

Of the 35 that lost their first Superbowl start only 6 made it back. 3 of them won a superbowl at some point. So just over 1/6 get back and just over 1/12 actually get a ring. The most recent quarterback to start a 2nd Superbowl despite losing their first was Jim Kelly in the early 90s and the most recent QB that won a Superbowl despite losing their first is Elway in the late 90s.

Currently we have Burrow, Goff, Hurts and Jimmy G who have lost their first and only superbowl as starters and I believe Cam, Kaep and Ryan are still technically free agents but they can be discounted I feel. It will be interesting to see who gets back to a Superbowl. I think Burrow will at some point, I feel like Hurts will get close but might struggle especially as that offensive line has some retirements. Hurts has not exactly had much time to overcome it since he only just made the Superbowl.

I guess it comes partially into better QBs win superbowls but I am surprised that there the difference is so massive between those that won and lost their first Superbowl.

Other current QBs who have made the big game are Mahomes who won his first and has won multiple, Russel Wilson who is the only other QB to have started multiple Superbowls, won his first and made it back to the Superbowl a 2nd time.

Foles, Rodgers and Stafford all won their first Superbowl start but neither has been back since landing on the unfortunate 50% of those who did win their first Superbowl thus far.

Advertisement