Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA V is ten years old today.

Options
  • 17-09-2023 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭

It was released for the Xbox 360 and PS3 on the 17th of September 2023.

I pre-ordered the Special Edition for the Xbox 360 in my local Gamestop in May and counted down the days until release.

I installed the game on the day of release and played it until I got a very bad cold and I didn't touch the game for a long time. I eventually completed the main storyline in August 2014.

I also ended up buying the game for my XB One and Series X and PS4 and PS5.

So what memories do you have of the game. Did you go to a midnight launch or have any other memories of collecting the game and waiting for the release of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,149 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Lost the hype waiting 19 months for the PC release so didn't buy it at launch. Eventually got it for free from EGS and didn't enjoy it as much as the other games in the series. I probably would've enjoyed it if I'd played it in 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I'd never played any GTA until GTA 5 a couple of years ago. Enjoyed and completed the main game. Got the Series X 60 FPS etc upgrade, but never really bothered playing it. Will replay one day. It's a great game. Some of the missions are outstanding action pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,525 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Took a week off work (had lots of days to use) and it arrived in the post at 9:30 that morning. Installed it on the 360 while i showered. Had snacks bought and meals pre cooked (Bolognese - i remember) to last me a few days. Had a blast when i discovered the driving mechanics weren't like 4.

I completed the main story in 4 days or so. Multiplayer wasn't ready back then. Unfortunately, i just didn't play it again for a long, long time. Probably not until PC launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Crazy to think it's been that long since GTA 5 first came out. In the span of time that it's been out, i've played it on PS3, PS4 and now PS5.

By the time the GTA 6 comes out it will be about 11 or 12 years since we had a GTA game. For perspective, GTA 3 came out in 2001 and in the span of 12 years we got GTA 3, Vice City, San Andrea, GTA 4 and GTA 5, along with all the spin offs and DLCs. Since GTA 5 all we've had are the online updates and re-releases onto new platforms but GTA 6 will be the newest GTA game of the franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

What happened with GTA 5 is indicative of what is wrong with modern gaming. Bleeding a property dry like assassins creed is one thing but bleeding one game dry over 10 years is very depressing and sends the wrong message to other publishers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

It's the players that are causing it to go on so long tbh. Without them, it wouldn't be the cash cow that it is. At the end of the day, the publishers are a business and if people are foolish enough to keep buying the same thing over and over and over again, why wouldn't they (the publishers) take advantage? There are few morals when it comes to making money.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 TouchingVirus85

I can't wait for GTA VI. When ever that will be though. I could be waiting two years or more...

• Administrators Posts: 53,535 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I completed it when it first came out but that's the only time I've done the story. I could never get into the online mode, at the start this was a mess but even now it just doesn't grab my attention, too disjointed with too much loading etc.

I don't think I could play it again now, I hate the Rockstar aiming system, they need to improve this for GTA 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

"Why did I move here?.... I guess it was the weather...."

F*cking loved that trailer. Game looked like a huge step forward from GTAIV as well. My excitement for the game was off the charts, and every trailer after that just amped it up even more.

Can't wait for the GTAVI trailer..... For the love of god please give us a GTAVI trailer.... IT'S BEEN 10 YEARS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 TouchingVirus85

"I never had a black son and if I did I'd want him to be just like you."

"You tell me what you want and I will very carefully tell you why it cannot be."

I remember those two lines in one of the trailers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Amazing game when it came out but I’ve become bitter that it still generates so much money which has resulted in such a long delay from GTA5 to 6.

I wasn't keen on it when it came out. I wasn't massively into IV either.

For me, the series peaked with Vice City and San Andreas, they've just been repeating the same trick since.

I've played every GTA since the first one, but VI might be the first version that I don't even bother looking at. I'm just not interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,276 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Loved the story to Vice City and the map for San Andreas.

Really enjoyed the multi character selection for V.

Not that big a fan of IV

Edit: I'll also add, nothing beats original GTA, top down view, in college, lan network, dozen lads, avoiding essay work.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,855 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Rockstar have all but burnt out any trust or loyalty I had to them. When they release a game, they get it so right most the time, but with the recent zero effort re-releases and the never-delivered single player DLC, I can't get excited for a new one. But I know once the trailer drops I'll be excited again. Mainly just to have a new GTA to play. Might as well enjoy it too, as that will probably be it for another 10 years. Maybe another Red Dead inbetween.

GTA V is the 48th game (or large expansion) that Rockstar had released, between 1999 and 2013. Since 2013, they've released 6: GTA Online, Bully Anniversary, LA Noire VR, RDR2, RDR Online and GTA Trilogy. Or, 1 full game, 2 "remasters", a VR remaster, and 2 online modes. And with that back catalogue...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

A lot of rumour mill around the possible release of a trailer in the next week or so.

But if memory serves me correctly, didn't they tease the previous installments with screenshots for a while before releasing a trailer?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

It's only because San Andreas will be 19 years old on the 26th (US) or the 29th (EU).

Reveal trailer first, then teaser screenshots, then release trailer is the usual way IIRC!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭Corvo

I enjoyed GTAV for what it was when it first released, a really good single player experience, decent story, some amazing set pieces and parts that genuinely had me laughing out loud.

As mentioned by other posters though, they hit their peak with San Andreas and I don't think they'll ever hit those heights again. The gameplay, music, map, characters...everything really, it was all just right.

Yes there is a certain amount of nostalgia connected to that game, but the success of the online mode in GTAV means I don't think we will ever see another release that won't be tempted to heavily lean into that and as such the main game will inevitably suffer, even if its only years down the line when they turn their head away from DLC's and focus on flogging the same game over and over.

I've no doubt that they will time GTAVI for just coming to the end of the current generation, allowing them to maximize the technology available, but also prep another release for the PS6 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I miss when these games use to come out every three years or so

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Repo101

I enjoyed GTA V single player but never got into online. It's much easier for Rockstar to keep adding DLC to V than spending time on VI. VI seems to be in perpetual development and it will probably take a significant drop in online sales for them to accelerate VI.

Selfishly, I would love a IV remaster but that is unlikely. GTA trilogy was decent but the changed soundtracks really changed the vibe. Vice City/San Andreas was their best work. They will still create great games but the focus on multiplayer is likely to be to the detriment of the story, at least that's how I felt about V.

Advertisement