Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New corp Life benefit, cancel private Life cover?

Options
  • 16-09-2023 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭

hi all

I've a new corporate Life benefit, so should I cancel my private Life coverage? thinking if I lose my job in the future, and do not go straight into a new position, I'll have no life cover and would have to start again at an older age..

(btw, usual moan about the useless search function on here, I did try to find previous similar posts..)

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Post edited by jkforde on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,340 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You'd also have the possible issue that if you changed job or were made redundant and had to start a new policy, it might (because of your age) involve a medical. Which could raise an issue which results in difficulties getting a new policy for an affordable premium.

That said, if you keep your personal policy, you might find that you have too much cover. So I'd carefully sip a sample of that soup before slurping a spoonful!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,956 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The what happens if change jobs is an important consideration.

Also, if you are planning to get a mortgage in future / trade up you could use the cover in your own name towards that.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

thanks both for your replies, good food for thought! might keep the policy but reduce the assured amount \ premium.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Some group D.I.S. schemes will have a continuation option which means that on leaving service you can take out personal cover without medical evidence.

Check with the admins.

Advertisement