Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental amount after renovation

Options
  • 16-09-2023 8:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭

If a property with a sittting tenant is renovated. The tenant must be offered the same property after completion. What will the rental amount be ? Does it have to be the original amount or can the landlord set a different amount ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭DubCount

I guess the first question is whether the property is in a RPZ or not. If the property is outside a RPZ, then I would guess the date of the last rent review would determine the next rental change. Within a RPZ the same would apply unless its a "substantial change" in which case rent can be reset to market value.

RTB guidance on "substantial change" is.....

Changes to Rent Pressure Zone exemptions | Residential Tenancies Board (rtb.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

In RPZ. Yes full reno. I just didnt see it written that way if full reno the rental value can be market rateor what ever the LL wants

Once the renovation is significant the rates can be brought up to current market rate. Similar local properties will be used to determine what the rent should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ec_pc

Try calling the PRTB and ask them to define what they mean by 'significant renovation'. From experience they seem to have great difficulty answering that question, so be very careful with the type of renovation done. There are some guides on their website but aspects of it are too vaue and they will not define it for you on the phone.

Advertisement