Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vessel naming rules?

Options
  • 15-09-2023 10:55pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

I tried to google this but ended up reading more about UK stuff so you might enlighten me.

Are there any rules about using a name for your boat that’s already been used in Ireland?

If there’s a vessel in a harbour called Dolly, what’s to stop another two people from buying two new boats, calling them Dolly because they want no other name, and getting berths in the same harbour? And then another boat with the same name wants to move there from another harbour? How does that work with new radio licences for example?

Unlikely scenario, but I’m trying to understand how it works.

thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

You can call the boat whatever you want so can everyone else I'm sure there a plenty of people married to a Dolly that want to keep them happy by naming their boat after them 😉 when you register your boat with waterways Ireland you will be given a number specific to your boat and that is what they used to get in contact with you if there is a problem like it's sinking broke a mooring or causing a problem, the number is also used to keep track of boats using the waterways like if you pass through a lock gate.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Likewise with the Ships Radio Licence... you'll be given a call sign in the form of EI (Echo India) followed by some combination of numbers and letters. example: EIUO3 (Echo India Uniform Oscar 3), and that will be your key identifier...

Also when applying for the SRL, if your VHF radio is DSC equipped, they'll also assign you an MMSI number, which is a 9 digit numerical code.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Thanks guys.

so if you have a non-DSC radio, you still pay for a licence, but you don’t get an MMSI?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Correct. You'll only get an 'EI' call sign, which is more than sufficient to identify as a vessel.

Advertisement