Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

20mph Speed Limits coming into effect in Wales

Options
  • 15-09-2023 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭

Strange this.. 20mph. seems very slow to me.

don't know of many/all possible ramifications of this - likely a revenue generating exercise.

Going 20mph on roads that folk should be easily (likely) to be able to tip along at ~30mph plus will possibly lead to mayhem on them roads.

• can't be good for cars' engines / gearboxes doing 20mph for extended periods. that's at about the point third gear should be engaged.
    • also, and perhaps crucially, there'll be plenty of cyclists willing and able to overtake (and not unlikely: undertake) those slow-moving vehicles, esp on downhill inclines.

Restricted roads are usually located in residential and built-up areas where there are lots of people. They often have street lights on them, placed no more than 200 yards apart.

We are making this change to:

• reduce the number of collisions and severe injuries from them (also reducing the impact on the NHS from treating the people who are injured)
    • encourage more people to walk and cycle in our communities
    • help to improve our health and well-being
    • make our streets safer
    • safeguard the environment for future generations.

https://www.gov.wales/introducing-default-20mph-speed-limits

my opinion, it's all part of getting people to start driving EVs and possibly stopping driving altogether. as well as '15 minute cities'

seems Ireland aren't the only ones where rubbish rules and regs are 'trialed' .

hope it doesn't happen here.

myself, I don't drive.

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭hayrabit

There are plenty of urban areas around Europe with such limits.

do you mean like actually driving in/thru towns / villages , or on the outskirts, say, where 30mph/50kph is the norm.

don't see too much of a problem with driving 20mph in a town, but on the arterial roads leading into them, surely 20mph/~30kph is a bit on the slow side, no?

I don't think it's a good idea anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Allinall

Why would it lead people to drive EVs?

not sure how EVs work A , but am guessing they're 'gearless' , perhaps

know sfa about cars, but automatic type conveyances (and electrics), perhaps, are better suited to driving at consistently low speeds??

#could be way off in that assessment :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭harmless

It's a problem with the way some of the older generation were taught how to drive. They were told to keep it in 5th/6th as much as possible to save fuel. To drive correctly at 20mph/30kmh you need to use either 2nd or 3rd gear which many refuse to do. It's not they can't because it is not an issue for them in a car park it is simply that they won't do it on the open road.

This problems is eliminated when driving automatic.

Any manual car I've driven has no issue doing a steady 20-30kmh without stalling or without giving over 3k RPM. Issues arise when people try to do this in 1st or in a gear higher than 3rd.

EVs all come as automatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I'm not a fan of big long extended 30kph limits.

But I hate this "it's bad for the engine" "it's bad for the gearbox" nonsense.

It simply isn't

There is no reason why it would be.

If anything lighter on brakes, suspension etc

• Advertisement

i'll defer to your knowledge on the subject, W B 😁

like I said, know sfa about cars...

#still think it can't be good for the gearbox for some reason 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Allinall

Why would it lead people to drive EVs?

I don't know the answer but I suspect David Icke may be the man to ask.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,547 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Uh, no. Cycling is a democracy. I'm president for life, not king.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The only reason it won't be good for the gear box is if the operator can't drive. There's no issues doing 30kph for long or short distances in any car once you selected the appropriate gear

• Advertisement

Isn't it safer for a bike to overtake a car than the other way around?

In a 30 km/h zone sometimes cars will be overtaking bikes and sometimes bikes will overtake cars but that's exactly how it already is in 50kmh zones given the level of congestion on Irish raods.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,547 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Isn't it safer for a bike to overtake a car than the other way around?

a common example would be that it's safer for you to walk past a train at 10km/h than for a train to pass you at 10km/h; assuming it's the significant mismatch in mass you're referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

I'm sure that wanker eamonn ryan will bring it in next year. People in dublin can sell their third, fourth, fifth and sixth gears on ebay.

Advertisement