Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eddi Capability

Options
  • 15-09-2023 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi all, I recently got installed a small 3.2 solar pv system, without a battery but with an Eddi hot water diverter. ( don't have an Ev or an ev charger).

As part of the job there is a Harvi installed near the meter box outside.

The app only shows energy being drawn from the Grid ( doesn't monitor and reflect actual PV generation).

Im just wondering how big of a job is it to get soembody to fit additonal equipment to monitor the PV generation also - so that it shows yp on the app?

Aswell as that are there other things people typically do with an Eddi - additional sensors or smart capability?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,116 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

You can get a second Harvi on the output of your inverter, it's about 10 mins work to fit it and get it paired to the Eddi

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

There is a relay board you can get for the eddi that you can connect de stratification pumps or temperature sensors to tell you how hot the water is in your tank

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭DC999

Did @unkel say you can use it for other resistive loads like a storage heater? I thought at one stage he was looking to wire the 2nd Eddi output into a storage heater. Means on a sunny day in autumn, winter or early spring (when we need heating) it's feeding that

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Yeah, Will work with any plain resistive load, no timers, no electronics.

Talking oil radiators, storage heaters

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ollin

I was in same boat as you re pv generation on the app (myenergi app I presume). I bought a CT clamp in Kellihers for €15 and her brother is a spark so we installed it together. Basically the clamp goes from your consumer unit and connects into the Eddi. You will need assistance if your not comfortable with electrics. There's a guy on YouTube called Tomas McGuinnes who runs through the whole process, a very thorough presentation. Can't link it at the minute but worth a look

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 DK1981

do i actually need to buy a second Harvi? or could i just connect a second ct clamp to the existing harvi?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,116 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Yeah I think a single Harvi can't monitor multiple things, the extra inputs are if you have 3 phase

So if you want Harvis to monitor the grid and solar, you need two Harvis

It's worth checking the Eddi and Harvi manual, they might have changed things since then

You can wire the sensors directly to the Eddi or Zappi, but they tend to be in difficult locations for cable runs, particularly if doing it post installation

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

You can monitor three separate single phase loads on a single harvi.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭championc

Also note that a Harvi is only needed if it is impossible to directly hard wire the CT clamps into an Eddi or Zappi. The Harvi must be paired to the Master device of those two.

Hard wiring is the preferred method, since it can read more accurately and the information is at the Eddi or Zappi instantaneously.

Expect to see some installs with Harvi's used when there was absolutely no need for their use.

And to confirm, the Harvi and Zappi have three CT inputs, the Eddi has two.

And the relay board must be the most undersold device in the MyEnergi suite

Advertisement