Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question re Shorter Working Year

Options
  • 14-09-2023 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi, anyone working in the public sector applied for shorter working year? I find it difficult working fulltime with teenage kids and was thinking of applying for this for next year especially as two of the kids will be doing state exams. I'm thinking of taking just 4 weeks, 2 in Summer, 2 in Winter, is it worth it? I know your pay goes down but I dont want to waste annual leave again next year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭fergald

I worked in two departments and loads of staff take it. My wife takes 4 weeks every year. After tax it's not a great loss. So yes definitely take the 4 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Harryhol

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Arsenal1886

Hi, I've submitted my application for the SWY (Pro-rata) for next year, and I am currently serving on the interview panel for the ongoing EO competition.

Should I be selected for a promotion, are there any potential conflicts or issues I should be aware of?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭fergald

Should be no problem at all, if it's approved, not really your issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclette

I've taken it on a number of occasions. I took Pro-Rata once and was badly burned - it was unfortunately 2020 and all our wonderful plans were scuppered. And I couldn't row back on it. I had to take the time off unpaid and then had to take more annual leave that year even though I didn't want to.

Since then, I've only ever taken the non-pro rata unpaid leave. It has much more flexibiity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Looking to take six weeks in 2024 but can get absolutely no information our of salaries as to how it will effect my -

1) Pension

2) PRSI

3) Overall wage

They just aren't answering and local management don't want to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Kirbi

Some of those are answered in the circular (14/2009).

I'm not sure what exactly you've asked, but I wouldn't expect salaries to be experts on pension or PRSI impacts bar the obvious - you don't accrue pension or PRSI credit during the weeks you're off.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Can someone explain in simple terms what it means to SWY on a pro rata basis with regard pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Kirbi

@ scullersky

For SWY Pro Rata, instead of being off pay for the weeks you're not in work, the value of your pay for that time will be calculated and subtracted from your annual salary.

That lower amount will then be paid to you across the whole year, including the weeks you are off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

There is a calculator on the NSSO website - "What If I Take" - that will calculate your salary pro rata for you.

You have to go to the Payroll page to find it. Enter in the dates you want to take off.

But I think you've now missed the cut off for pro-rata SWYS for 2024. It's usually the end of September.

Edit: the cut-off for fully approved SWYS pro-rata for 2024 is 6 October.

• Advertisement

In simple terms, if you take 4 weeks off on SWYS and opt for pro-rata pay, your 48 weeks pay is recalculated and spread out over 52 weeks, so you still get paid every week / fortnight, including when you are off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Thanks. Health Service deadline is end-October according to all our forms so I have a little bit of time.

Still not a peep out of salaries/HR etc.

Edit: We don't have access to NSSO unfortunately. Is there an equivalent calculator somewhere?

Ah sorry, no HSE calculator that I'm aware off.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Harryhol

Cut off for application is 31st Oct according to the Circular we received

Are you HSE staff as well?

@Chris_5339762 mentioned that was the date for the HSE.

The circular my Dept (CS) got from NSSO Alerts gave the cut-off for applications for SWYS 2024 with pro-rata pay as 6th October.

Advertisement