Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House insurance for house with flat roof kitchen extension?

Options
  • 14-09-2023 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭

Shortly expect to close on a small 1930s terraced house with a flat roof kitchen extension (like most of the other houses I’ve looked at over the last year). Went online today to get some quotes for house and content insurance. Most of the sites refuse to quote once the % of flat to pitched roof exceeds 20%. I’d appreciate any suggestions for an insurance company or broker who will quote?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

We have a small flat roof area. Not sure what the % is. Our insurer is FBD.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

Chatting to my sister recently about it as most of the houses in her estate have majority flat roofs (newer builds ~15y/o) - according to her Zurich and Alliance are the providers of choice in her estate. I'd recommend giving quote devil a ring, I found them very helpful over the phone when getting ours, albeit we have less than 20% flat roof on ours.

You'll find none of them will give an online quote for over 20% as they need to talk to you about to to give an accurate quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Interesting. Also what about the mortgage insurance? Did you find it OK to insure with a flat roof?

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

It can be difficult to get an insurer if your flat roof is over 25%, but, I have 2 houses insured, I use Chrome-the good thing is, one of the houses is also used for airbnb, the extra insurance is included as its considered 'non-standard'.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

Call Quote Devil. They won't quote online, but will definitely get you sorted in 10 minutes on the phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,433 ✭✭✭TheChizler

MIG seem to be the go to broker for slightly unusual properties, we used them for a similar house with >25% flat roof. Were the only people who could get a quote for an area with a (undeserved) reputation for subsidence. Underwritten by AIG I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭C3PO

Moving out of Dublin to the South East to avoid having one! 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Gilly43

Just whoever you go with, make sure you are clear and definite on percentage of the roof area. If you exceed the threshold for the specific insurers it may invalidate future cover. Non standard construction (flat roofs) are noted on claim inspection if there’s a claim (even unrelated to roof) and reported back to insurers.

And if you get a flat roof maintain the damned thing! As with everything, they’ve improved over the years but they do have a shorter lifespan and they do leak if not checked/maintained regularly.

Hope you get sorted 👍🏻

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I lived in a house with a fully flat roof and had an absolute nightmare trying to get insurance for it. In the end I went through Glennons broker and they got me sorted. It's a few years ago now, but I think the insurer might have been Allianz.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭size5

Our house is 45% flat roof and use the broker Top Insure in Waterford

• Advertisement
Advertisement