Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vat number on receipts?

Options
  • 14-09-2023 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭

Hey folks.

I started a business in portugal, and I'm currently in Ireland purchasing some supplies in regular shops like bnq and woodies.

In portugal I provide my tax/vat number at any purchase point.

In bnq n woodies here, both check outs said they don't have the ability to enter a number on the receipt?

How is this handled in Ireland? How do people here link purchases in regular shops to thier business? I pay with my business account of course, but my accountant requires my number on each receipt.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Both of those shops focus more on retail customers than business customers.

Their normal receipts would not contain their VAT number as it's not relevant for a lot of their transactions and it would be a waste of paper and ink.

If you asked for a VAT receipt they would normally be able to issue you a different receipt which would have the number, I'm surprised they would not and think that perhaps the sales assistant just did not know how to do this and if you pushed the issue you may have got someone who could

• Registered Users Posts: 42 kc78

I think he is saying they can't put the Portugal VAT no on the invoice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Yes, this.

In portugal, we have to add our tax number to the receipt. I do this in spain too. Also every online business ive used allowed it too by default. Amazon does it automatically too.

Accountant says that because ireland is part of the UE, it has the same mechanism. I've explained.. it obviously doesnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 kc78

An Irish business doesn't need to have its VAT number on invoices from other Irish companies so it's not surprising you are having trouble.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

B&Qs trade arm Screwfix will allow you to have your corporate details including VAT number printed on a receipt. Currys are the only other (still trading - Maplins, Peats also did) mostly consumer shop I've ever dealt with that offer this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Thanks. I'll have to order online from screw fix etc.

Tricky n unfortunate. My fuel for this trip counts too so that's quite a bit of expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭3d4life

Advertisement