Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York

Options
  • 14-09-2023 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭

Was planning a trip for 5 or 6 days to New York in late February or early March, was wondering what month would be cheaper hotel wise? And any recommendations for hotels and things to do.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭knockoutned

I would suggest that you do not go to NYC on the dates you mentioned. February into early March can be absolutely baltic and have been below -15'c regularly when I lived there during that period. Plus the wind chill would cut you in half. Weather always started to get a little better the further into the six nations you went. If you can, I would wait until late April - early May.

February would be cheaper for this reason. If planning on being there over the weekend, maybe move hotels. Hotels in the financial district are normally cheaper at weekends. There isn't a lot going on down there at that time, but the area is well served with subways that will get you anywhere easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

It will probably be pretty cold but if you haven't been before, I would recommend taking the boat trip out to Ellis Island. I think it's usually combined with a visit to the Statue of Liberty. If the weather is clear, a visit to the top of the Empire State Building gives pretty spectacular views. There may be other buildings that offer similar vistas - I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Thanks for the replies. Very expensive for food and drinks I understand. The reason for those dates is thinking of getting 2 return tickets on Aer Lingus sale for €600 and them dates suit.But those tempatures might put herself off. Maybe some other US destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Would you recommend any other US destinations for that time of year?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭knockoutned

You would ideally need to head south, so on the east coast maybe Savanah, GA, Hilton Head and Charlestown, SC. Spend a couple of days in each location. Florida can be very hot, especially if you go to Miami. Temperatures in February can be in the 30's.

If want to go a little further, San Diego is always worth a visit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

I've been in NY in Feb and was around -9C but bright and sunny. Would be different story if wet or snowing.

Fine for a couple to see the main attractions and a good excuse to duck in somewhere for a beer, coffee etc..

As suggested financial district was cheap, think paid around 120 for a double room in quality inn/similar. Lower Manhattan is more interesting than mid town for bars, restaurants etc...as well which is handy as it's close to get home after. Also close for statue of liberty, WTC, Brooklyn bridge

Advertisement